Oliver + S

Forest Cape sans lining

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    Profile photo of cygne2cygne2 @cygne2

I just received the fabric for my Forest Cape and am surprised to find it is double-sided. Both sides of the wool blend are soft (child friendly) and attractive, so I’ve decided to forego lining the cape. I think I could put the interface between the layers of wool and bind the raw edges. My question is, what to do about the neck facing?

LINK
    Profile photo of Liesl GibsonLiesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Is it a true double-faced fabric? Because if it is, you can separate the fabric at the edges and tuck the edges in between the layers before hand-stitching to finish it. The would allow you to create a fully reversible cape if you don’t mind hand sewing quite a bit. I just did a quick google search and found a couple of tutorials to help you:

http://mariasewing.blogspot.com.es/2012/05/how-to-sew-basic-seam-with-double-faced.html

http://mariasewing.blogspot.com.es/2012/07/how-to-hem-double-faced-wool.html

Or you could bind the neck edges use as you’re planning to bind the other edges. Either way, I think it will be really cute and hope you’ll show us when you’re done!

LINK
    Profile photo of cygne2cygne2 @cygne2

I don’t know whether it is a true double-faced fabric. The wool layers are loosely woven, so hard to separate, but I haven’t tried stitching over/reinforcing them and going at it, as shown in the blog. More to come. Thank you so much for the links and for your very helpful suggestions. As usual, the O + S pdf was a breeze to put together.

LINK
    Profile photo of Liesl GibsonLiesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Please keep me posted! I’m curious to hear how it goes. And it’s great to hear the PDF assembled easily. Cheers!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2017. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.