Oliver + S

Finishing seam allowances when attaching pockets

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    purlknitpurl @purlknitpurl

Hello! I’m wondering if someone could shed light on this….when attaching the pockets to the dress front in step 10 it says to finish the seam allowances between the dots. Would you finish them together or separately? ( I don’t have a serger so I usually pink them or zig zag.) then, in step 11, it says to attach the second pocket and then finish those seam allowances together. Why are there slightly different instructions for dealing with both seam allowances? I may not be interpreting correctly. Thanks, everyone, in advance for your feedback.

Purl

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Hi there, Purl. I’ve just finished 2 book reports in sizes 2 and 3, and found them pretty straightforward. Loops were a bit of a hassle. But everyone thinks they really add something so will stick with them.

Re: pockets. Instructions for both pockets are the same – I know the instructions make it sound different but not. As you know, pockets are attached with 3/8″ seam between dots. I zigzaged (triple zig zag because I find it sits flatter when finishing seams) both pocket seam allowance and dress front seam allowance together. Then I trimmed carefully between dots so that I didn’t interfere with the wider seam allowance (1/2″) needed to attach skirt front to top front and around the pockets – per instructions. Then I zig zaged the wider allowance along skirt skirt pivoting at pockets, going around them, back to skirt front seam allowance. I.E you don’t finish pockets between dots again otherwise you’ll sew them closed. But I’m sure you worked that out already. Finding the right zig zag stitch requires testing on scraps. I have to do this a lot on my Janome because every fabric’s different. But as I said, I like the triple zzg as it sits flatter.

Hope this helps, I appreciate your frustration.

LINK
    purlknitpurl @purlknitpurl

Thanks so much! I’m going to also see if my machine has the triple zig zag. I really appreciate your thoughtful reply!

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

You are very welcome!! Good luck.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.