Oliver + S

Finishing exposed, clipped, curved seams

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Anna @aplazarus

How do y’all finish exposed, clipped, curved seams? I’m trying to figure out what to do with the leg seam in the bedtime story pajamas. The instruction is to press the seam allowances open and clip as needed to help the curved seam lie flat. Thanks.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Are you meaning the crotch seam? I really like to do pyjamas with a flat felled crotch seam. It’s neat and strong (for some reason my kids always turn into karate fighters or pro wrestlers at bedtime).
    If you’ve already seen the seam, then be sure to double stitch it between the notches for extra strength. Clip as needed and press to one side then I’d finish the seam allowance either with overlocker or zig zag simply having little bits of “air” stitching where the clips are. Does that make sense?

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Anna, if you post in the Facebook group and on the forum will you do everyone a favor and copy the responses from one place to the other so we’re not replying twice? I see that you had a lot of replies in Facebook, and it would be nice to have them here as well so the question isn’t left hanging. Thanks.

LINK
    Anna @aplazarus

The other responses were trim and overcast, do nothing, serge, zig zag, and use pinking shears.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I vote for serge, personally. If you have a serger all those little clips just sort of disappear in the stitching. Cheers!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.