Oliver + S

Featherwale for Birthday Party Dress?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    DFitz @DFitz

Can I make the birthday party dress using a featherwale corduroy, or will this make the box pleats too bulky? Thank you!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I’m thinking it would be difficult to do those pleats nicely with corduroy. How about the music box jumper? That would work very well with cord and give a similar look.

LINK
    DFitz @DFitz

Thanks melelitz. That’s what I was thinking, but thought I’d ask for some advice anyways. I have my heart set on the Birthday dress for Christmas. I love the idea of the bow in front with some type of festive fabric. I may have to make the whole dress in a cotton, but I worry about it being too light to wear in cold weather.

LINK
    scgoble @scgoble

I’ve done this in corduroy. The pleats are not as crisp as with a cotton, but still very cute I think.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22395843@N08/5464720273/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22395843@N08/5364605127/in/photostream

LINK
    catherinel @catherinel

I think you could make it in featherwale as long as the facings are a lightweight cotton. I’ve pleated and smocked featherwale many times and it really handles really well, not adding too much bulk.

scgoble–your version is really cute!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I do like that navy one Camille! And I love the idea of this dress with a bow for Christmas, though I don’t think cord will add a huge amount of warmth when there aren’t any sleeves. However, I don’t worry too ,UVB about wrmth for Christmas clothes because I find that a house full of people with the oven going all day gets pretty warm. And at church we keep our coats on.

LINK
    DFitz @DFitz

I love the pictures of the dresses done in corduroy! I was planning on using the dress as a jumper and pairing it with a white turtleneck for warmth. Thanks to everyone for your input. You’ve been quite helpful!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.