Oliver + S

Fairy Tale Peter Pan Collar Embroidery

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

On occasion, I have been known to hand embroider the old fashioned way. I am thinking about designing some kind of embroidery for the collar. Something simple.

Anyways, I am trying to decide should I embroider before I attach the collar (and deal with the potential of the collar fraying with all that handling. Or should I complete the dress (with all edges finished) and embroider while attached.

What do you think? (Although I may not do it.)

Jenny

LINK
    catherinel @catherinel

Jenny,

I think embroidery would be beautiful. You could do the embroidery before cutting the collar out, and that would eliminate the fraying problem. Just trace the right and left collars onto a fabric square, also tracing seam lines. Embroider away, then cut out and construct.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Catherinel,

How would you account for seam allowances and getting to to be in “just the right spot” after it has been sewn?

I am just thinking aloud here…. hmmm….

Jenny

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I would trace the pattern piece, mark the stitching lines with Something that will wash away and embroider the collar BEFORE even cutting the fabric. That way, it will easily fit in a hoop, you won’t have the wrong side of the embroidery showing on the undercollar and, if you mess ups you could start again rather than ruin the entire dress.

I think it’s a lovely idea. Im considering that too. I did some simple machine embroidery when I made the puppet show tunic.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I agree with Meleliza – I’m actually quite experienced at this myself – but be sure to inferface the piece you intend to embroider, use a hoop if you are unsure of tension in your embroidery, stitch around the shape of the collar before cutting it out because you could give a rinse, roll it in a towel to soak up the drips and leave it to dry flat before pressing it with the embroidery facing the ironing board before continuing on from there.

This is the way to get the best result for your collars anyhow. As for getting it in the right spot, by practising your design you will get the idea as to where it should be depending on how big it is.

Good luck!

Tamara

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Thanks. Hmmm. Now it is time to dig out my book and see what I want to design….

LINK
    catherinel @catherinel

I think everyone has pretty much answered your questions. I do all these things too. If you are very precise in tracing the collar and seam lines it’s actually very easy to place your embroidery design properly on the collar. I used to use a wash-away marker, but now I find that a sew-line pencil gives me much more precise lines to follow. I spray starch the fabric square a few times and trace on the starched side. The pencil comes out easily with just a rinse.

I like the idea of stitching around the cutting line of the collar. I’ve never done that, but I will next time! In the past I would always wait until I cut out before rinsing out the marks, but this is much better and would significantly reduce fraying and distortion.

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

Ha, I was thinking about this myself! I was going to have matching embroidery on the collar and the ends of the bow. Thanks for the tips.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.