Oliver + S

Fabric requirements for the Hopscotch Skirt, Knit Top + Dress sewing pattern

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

To help you with your pre-release fabric shopping, here are the fabric requirements for the new Hopscotch Skirt, Knit Top + Dress sewing pattern.

LINK
    momtokx2 @momtokx2

Are the fabric requirements what we need to purchase or what we need to have after washing and shrinking?

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

We took 10% shrinkage into account for the yardage estimates, but I always recommend purchasing a little extra, just in case. Some knits shrink more than 10%. The City Weekend knits shrink about 8%.

LINK
    momtokx2 @momtokx2

Thank you Liesl, I will plan on an extra quarter of yard or so for shrinkage and long sleeves. Can’t wait to start this dress.

LINK
    momtokx2 @momtokx2

One more question if you don’t mind. I have not used knit fabric before and was wondering can you cut it on the bias. I was thinking this dress done with strips cut on the bias would be really cute, would that be possible?

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I wouldn’t advise it. The cross-grain has all the stretch, and knit doesn’t perform on bias the way woven fabrics do. You’ll get the same stretch effect with cross-grain, so that’s probably the best way to handle it. I’m curious what you’re making?

LINK
    momtokx2 @momtokx2

I want to make the hopscotch dress. My daughter picked out striped fabric and I am concerned about lining up the stripes. I figured if I cut them on the bias this would solve the problem. I reread my original post and noticed that I forgot the “e” on stripes and spelled strips instead. Sorry for the confusion.

LINK
    violetvata @violetvata

Hi- I do knit stripes ALL the time for my three boys. It is not too hard as long as you know how. Firstly, you will have much better luck if your stripes are “yarn-dyed” rather than printed on the top of the fabric…as in the color goes all the way through to the back. When you are laying out your fabric, make sure any pieces that are cut “on the fold” have the stripes matched up on both layers of the fabric before you lay the pattern piece, for example : the red stripes on the bottom layer matches up with the same “level” red stripe on the top layer of fabric. Then lay your traced pattern piece on top and when you have where you like it, mark with a pencil where one prominent stripe is going, such as at the armpit where the piece will be lined up with another (front and back). Then when you trace the back, make sure the same blue stripe is running at the same level at the armpit on the back, and do the same matching as you are pinning and sewing to make sure the front or back doesn’t get “off track”…good luck- Katja

LINK
    isewstuff @isewstuff

I haven’t looked at my pattern pieces yet (the fabric is being washed), but would it be possible to use the short sleeve on top of the long sleeve for a faux layered looked?

LINK
    momtokx2 @momtokx2

Katja

Thank you so for the advice. I think I will attempt it as she really likes the fabric

isewstuff

What a great idea. I bet you could do something like that. Maybe use the short sleeve to attach to the main part of the shirt and cut out the long sleeve as well and attach it at the bottom of the short sleeve. Does this make since?

LINK
    violetvata @violetvata

If the sleeves are the same width (ie- the short one is not a different shape to make it not gap open at the bottom), you can just cut out two of each, finish the hem on the short sleeve, then baste the top curved part together of the short and long sleeves (short on top!) and then join it to the bodice/armhole as usual, then finish the bottom of the long sleeve as directed! katja

LINK
    isewstuff @isewstuff

Thanks momtokx2 and katja. I was actually thinking the same method as katja. I guess I’m just a bit intimidated by knits, I almost never sew with them. I worry that the sleeve to bodice sem will be too bulky- but I guess that depends upon which fabrics I choose. I hope to be able to get the pattern traced today and see if it’s possible. I’m thinking I should sew one top as it’s written first and get over my fear of stretchy fabric, and then try experimenting on a second? Baby steps….

LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

The fabric requirement for the long sleeve top in a size 2 is 3/4 yard and I will have to order 1 yard. I thought I would order a couple of the knits. Can I use the the extra 1/4 for the neck binding. Is 1/4 yard enough contrasting fabric for the neck binding?

LINK
    Rpankow @excytin

I would say it should be more than enough. I just got done cutting out one last night size 3, and since it’s only one piece, I would say you could use that fabric for several contrasting bands. On a side note, I had just that piece to cut out when I couldn’t find the pattern piece for it. I hunted like mad, only to find out I had actually thrown it away with the scrap pieces of paper. Thank goodness my husband was a little tardy getting the garbage out that time!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.