Oliver + S

Eliminate buttons on stretchy knit top?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    Julianna Swanson Peacock @spunkypeacock

Has anyone tried eliminating the buttons on the back of the tunic/dress when using a stretchy knit fabric?

Thoughts?

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I made the dress in a knit and used snaps. It will not pull over my daughter’s (small) head without undoing them. The way the dress is constructed, the neckline is not super-stretchy.

LINK
    Julianna Swanson Peacock @spunkypeacock

@roundtheworldgirl – thanks a lot! This really helps! I will try snaps. Do you use a certain kind? Tool? Or the dritz kit? Last time I tried snaps I left dents in my breakfast table…………hah!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I have though about changing the neckline to a tshirt neckline. I don’t have the pattern yet but I would cut the back on the fold and use an existing tshirt pattern I have, either an Ottrobe or Make It Perfect basic tee, but flashback skinny tee would be fine too, to redraw the neckline and then add a double folded stretch band like finishing the neck on the field trip. I probably won’t use the Field trip raglan as it is a raglan and therefore the shoulder pieces make up part of the neckline, I would choose a tee shirt pattern with set in sleeves as it will be easier to borrow the neckline. I also have plans to do this to a knockoff puppet show knit dress.

I have one of those massive metal snap presses by KAM, it is amazing! I use it on everything and I rarely put in a button now unless I feel it helps the aesthetic like a coat or Good clothes. The press is expensive (about $100 in Australia) but once you have one the snaps are so cheap, like $3.40 for 100 (200 caps, 100 sockets and 100 studs). I figured once I had put snaps in about 20 garments I would be ahead. I have used the press so much, I even fixed a dozen or so cloth nappies where the velcro was no longer working saving a friend having to buy that many more cloth nappies. If you can swing the money a big snap press is So easy to use and well worth the money.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I have the large metal snap press by KAM too. I got it because I was making diapers. It’s very handy for clothes too. You can also buy their snap pliers (much more economical but I found the snaps came out when I set them with pliers.).

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

How about a hopscotch mash-up? You could use the hopscotch top and add a gathered skirt. Another option would be to use the hopscotch back pattern piece twice. Just cut a deeper neckline on one to make it the front. That gives you a regular t-shirt look.

I’ve always meant to do a hopscotch with a drop waist gathered skirt. I’ve just never gotten around to it in my dozen or so dresses.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.