Oliver + S

Different fabrics for Book Report?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • LINK
    KellyNYC @KellyNYC

I’m wondering if it would be a bad idea to do the Book Report dress with Liberty on the bodice and a fine wale cord for the skirt and back yoke? I have a feeling the weights are too different to be used as a adjoining fashion fabrics in the same garment (as opposed to the lighter lawn as a lining for the heavier corduroy).

If the lawn will be too light weight, I suppose a quilting cotton would do? I just don’t love the drape of quilting cottons, although the weight of the corduroy skirt might give the bodice a nicer drape.

Thanks in advance!

Kelly

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Ummmm! I have only ever put this combination together using a little lawn with alot of corduory – collars on dresses and that sort of thing.

To be honest I’m not really sure how it would go … some corduroys are light in weight depending on the count of the wale so it depends on if you are using a pinwale or babywale corduroy instead of a wideware – I wouldn’t use wide wale somehow I don’t think it would turn out.

What about a printed corduory to go with the plain?

I’m sure someone would have a different answer. I’m curious to see how it would work actually.

Hope this helps

Tamara

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I think it might sit oddly given the great lightness of Liberty (assuming you’re using the lawn?) — how about all lawn for the blouse? It’s only really the yoke in cord that I think might feel funny, and it seems a shame to find out by experimenting with such precious fabric.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Kelly, did you ever try this? I am plotting something similar — light cotton top, fine wool or cord bottom. Wondering how yours worked out?

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Hm, how would I clean it? Cold water, hand wash or delicate cycle, air dry?

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

I don’t have the patience to hand-wash children’s clothes, so for wool I pre-shrink it before sewing (toss in dryer with a wet towel), finish the seams securely, and then wash inside-out on my machine’s delicate setting, snap into shape with my hands and air-dry on a drying rack.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I’ve tried running a small square through the wash and am air drying, to see how that works, I hope it doesn’t felt it. Good note about the seams, I will bear it in mind.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I’ve tried running a small square through the wash and am air drying, to see how that works, I hope it doesn’t felt it. Good note about the seams, I will bear it in mind.

LINK
    Jane @jesims

I have made two of these recently (still need to get them up on Flickr). The first was a linen on top and a quilting cotton on bottom, both nearly the same weight. It hangs just fine. The second was a quilting cotton on top and a heavier twill on the bottom. I stressed all through constrction of it that it was going to hang funny. In the end it’s just fine. I would hesitate to do something as light a lawn with courdoroy unless the courdoroy was a very light weight cord. Do you have a cheaper lawn that you could test with before using the Liberty?

Jane

http://Www.NotSewPlain.blogspot.com

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I’ve got a ‘London Calling’ lawn and a Marc Jacobs wool that are both really lovely, but I got them on super sales, I think about $5/yard? I think they’ll make a very handsome ‘dog’ to try it on, thank you. I think that so long as the weight and drape are not too dramatically different (wouldn’t try a slippery silk with a stiff cotton canvas) it should hang fine, insofar as anything ever truly hangs on a blurry 3 year old, anyhow!

LINK
    KellyNYC @KellyNYC

Oops I just saw this! I never did try out the two different fabrics, though I suspect most of you were right in that a corduroy and a lawn would be too heavily contrasted in terms of weight. I did try a double gauze and quilting cotton and that worked beautifully. Let us know how it works out for you!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

It worked out great! I did one in wool flannel and eyelet: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemoglobinhummingbird/8420341883/in/pool-oliverands/

and one in wool and lawn: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemoglobinhummingbird/8412848248/in/pool-694451@N21/

Both are lined. One was a dream to sew and the other a nightmare, but that’s totally operator error issues.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.