Oliver + S

concerned 6-12m leggings small

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I’ve just made my first pair of playtime leggings, I love the pattern! Less than an hour sew 🙂

I sewed the 6 to 12m size and the diameter of the waist opening seems very small, like about 14″. This seems very small when the waist (on the body) measurement is 19.5″. There is no finished waist measurement for the leggings, however the out seam value is the same as the length of the leggings I sewed. I’m sure I sewed a 1/4″ seam allowance. Unfortunately I don’t have a baby to try these on, they were going to be a gift.

Has anyone else sewn the 6-12m legging? How did they fit?

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Heidi I have a pair to hand (the 4th for the week!) that are 18-24 month width and they only measure about 15.5″ around the waist (when resting on the chair), yet they fit my 3 year old. Her waist measurement is about 21″

The only trouble I had was when I had the overlocker a bit tight and the seam finishing prevented the fabric from stretching enough. They had to be “popped” to get them on the first time!

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

FWIW, Heidi, I think 19.5 inches is a bit generous for a 6-12 mo baby. My medium chubby 19 mo has a waist measurement of 19-20 inches.

LINK
    BananaPants @BananaPants

Just this afternoon I sewed a pair in 6-12m. The fit is comfortable in the waist and legs but a smidgen snug in the seat for our slim/long 10 month old, due to her cloth diapers. My next pair for her will be 12-18m size to better fit with growing room over the diaper and for her long legs. I measured and my pair has a finished waist size of around 15.5″.

The size 4 ended up fitting our almost-4 year old very well with room to grow. Both pairs (6-12m and 4) have little to no gathering of the fabric at the waistband due to the elastic. I sewed them in cotton interlock, which is very stretchy.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Thanks for the prompt replies. That’s encouraging to know they do fit. I think I will call this pair 6m as it’s not a super stretchy knit, but seemed to have the 25% recovery. I think I’ll make sure to use much stretchyer knit next time. Thanks again 🙂

LINK
    mlinton @mlinton

I made a pair for my then 14-month old with a very stretchy knit and they fit well in the waist/hip/bottom, but my coverstitch at the hem couldn’t stretch enough to prevent pinched ankles. She’s a little small (18 inch waist) but has those adorable baby roll legs. I did some measuring and realized her ankle/thigh circumference is the same as her 3-year old brother. So my next test (pattern cut, but not yet sewn) is to sew the 2T width in the legs. I imagine it’s hard to account for the variety of chub you see on baby legs!

LINK
    Lisa @LisaBrita

I just finished the leggings in size 12-18 months, and the waist is only 16″ on the finished garment. However, the back of the pattern envelope says 20 1/2 ” for body measurement. These are way too tight. I’m not sure what I did wrong.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Did you check your seam allowance?

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

The pattern should be correct. There’s a good deal of negative ease here to account for a knit fabric with at least 25% stretch. They should fit to that body measurement fine. Did you use a knit with at least 25% stretch? That could be part of the issue.

LINK
    Enbee @Enbee

I think the smallest size of these that I’ve made has been the 18-24 mo size, but I can definitely confirm what Todd mentioned above – I made a pair for a costume in some cheap, thin jersey with minimal stretch and they were like sausage casings compared to the same-size pairs I’d made out of nice interlock for PJs.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.