Oliver + S

Cloth Diaper Mods?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    enajybbil @enajybbil

How do I make them? Other than making a huge pant size and then shortening the legs how do I do this? A panel of some sort? I know this will result in me chopping up a bunch of muslin for testing BUT if I could have a bit of a nudge in the right direction? How would this work for the Tea Party playsuit?

LINK
    violetvata @violetvata

Hello= I made at least three of the playsuits (see flickr for mine) for my cloth diaper boy last year ( we use fuzzi bunz) and it was never a problem. I guess I would whip a “muslin” or sample out of fabric you aren’t attached to and just try it out. For us, it always seemed like length of the garment is more of an issue then the width with cloth diapers, so maybe adding length as Liesl outlined in her recent blog post, below the yoke the pattern pieces are quite straight and it shouldn’t be too hard. I did think the suit was pretty slim fitting compared to ready to wear suits so sizing one size up may work too, or making it out of a firm knit fabric rather than a woven…..just my ideas- Katja

LINK
    enajybbil @enajybbil

Making it longer according to Liesl’s instructions makes sense for the playsuit. It seems like some baby pants have some sort of panel between the legs (now talking about modifying the pj’s). I’m wondering if I should make a rectangle or a diamond shape and how to execute that sewing??

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I think you’re talking about a gusset, which would be a radically different pattern, actually. I would suggest either making a larger size or lengthening the pattern. It will be much easier and less of a headache. Try measuring your child’s hips with the diaper on and compare that to the finished measurement chart (or the body measurement chart, too) to help you select the right size. Then lengthen or shorten as needed.

You could make a muslin or just use some inexpensive fabric the first time so you don’t worry about ruining your favorite print. I think it should be fun.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.