Oliver + S

candy corn skirt

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • LINK
    mollie_halbrook @mollie_halbrook

I would like to reproduce this skirt with some minor differences. I would like to use deep box pleats with the interior being the candy corn fabric. I would like scallops on the bottom. I also want to have an adjustable waist with button hole elastic. Would it be easier to try to modify the badminton skirt or use the dress pattern in the book?

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Hi Mollie, that skirt is very sweet!! My suggestion would be to use the 2+2 skirt pattern. It has pleats that could be adjusted for the candycorn look; it also has an adjustable waistband. Another pattern that could be adapted is the Music Box pinafore using the pleated version of the pattern. Good luck.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I guess I’d be inclined to alter the Building Block Dress skirt, but that’s just me. You’ll get a very different effect if you use box pleats, in large part because the black sections between the candy corns will be wider and won’t taper to points at the hem. Does that make sense? I think it would be easier to get the same look as the original if you started with the dress skirt pattern and determine where the points will lie at the top and bottom edges. It will take a little math, but it’s very doable. And it should look very cute! My only concern would be getting the skirt on and off. An elastic waist won’t give the same effect, so you might have to add a waistband and zipper closure.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.