Oliver + S

Book Report-pleats baste or sew?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Hi all,

I have a question. In the directions it says to baste the front pleats. There is no corresponding direction to release the stitching in the the pleats. Same for the back.

I was taught that baste was a temporary stitch, so when I sew it, I lengthen the stitch so it is easier to pick out. And I also don’t safety stitch at the beginning or end.

So when I basted my pleats, I did as I described. Now with the dress almost complete, I am wondering if these stitches are supposed to be permanent.

If so I have to figure out how to secure and tighten these temporary stitches.

Liesl- can you tell me- are these permanent stitches and should be sewn not basted with safety stitches? Or should they be released?

Oh, anyone else can chime in with what they did!

Thank you,

Jenny

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Jenny, I’m making this currently and had to have a look at the examples for the dress already made. It looks from the series of closeups on flickr that they have been left in.

You are right though, generally “basting” means temporary stitching.

I have a child pacing the floor impatiently so I will just say this. I think we had to baste it in place to secure it prior to sewing the facing on and this way to release it will secure the pleat in place. I don’t really see in the instructions where it says to remove them either.

I’m sure Liesl will be along shortly to set us both straight. In the meantime though I shall have to see to this child before she wares the floor out!

Tamara

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I need to also add that some basting is permanent ie, basting the facings etc but the basting is more often than not trimmed off after the actual stitching is done.

This basting may be just that maybe even though it isn’t trimmed.

Tamara

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Tamara,

Yes, like the baste across the pleats in the seam allowance to hold the pleats is permanent, but doesn’t need safety stitching because it will be stitched over and hidden in the seam allowance.

The stitching of these pleats shows. 🙁 And it is that crappy 5mm long lose stitch that I do for basting. So it is really loose and any stress will pull them out.

Before I pull them, I am trying to figure out if I need to restitch in some way to secure them.

Jenny

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

It’s fine to leave the basting stitches in until you’ve completed the dress, and then remove them. They are meant to be removed at the front and back.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Thanks. That is what I thought, but there was no direction to release them, and I had that sudden drop in the belly- oh no moment.

Jenny

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

haha, I know the feeling. And you’re welcome. Don’t forget to show us in the Flickr group.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Yes, in step 7 at the very end we tell you to remove the basting stitches from the pleats. Can’t wait to see what you’ve made!

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Liesl,

Thanks. D’oh me. I am working on cuffs and hem right now. So of course, as I look at the pleats and the loose stitching coming apart, I get nervous.

Jenny

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.