Oliver + S

Attaching facing to lining

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Anne @alc13

I’m having a (conceptual?) problem attaching the facing to the back lining. The length of the outer curve of the facing is about 6 cm longer than the curve of the lining neck, and I expected them to be the same length since the instructions say to first match the outer edges. Am I misunderstanding the instructions for how to arrange them? My pattern pieces haven’t become distorted – I checked them against the paper pattern.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Hi Anne, do you have notches or pattern markings present but not lining up?
    If the markings are all present then you might have the wrong size, or an error somewhere.
    If there’s no markings to line up then I’m guessing you’re trying to attach the facing upside down.

Check your pattern pieces, then check you’ve transferred all the markings correctly.
    Can you attach a photo to help troubleshoot what’s going wrong?

LINK
    Anne @alc13

I’m just understanding it wrong, I think.

My fabrics are too dark to photograph clearly so I’ve attached a photo of the paper pattern pieces. I’ve laid out the pieces for the facing and lining right side up, aligned at the notch. My understanding is the outside curve of the back facing attaches to the inside curve of the lining neck, right sides facing. If I flip the facing piece over onto the neck, it extends past the lining on both sides.

What am I doing wrong?

Attachments:
    LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I can’t see the centre back fold marking on your lining piece, so it’s hard to see if that’s been cut too short.
    But…. Main point is that raw edges don’t line up, stitching lines do. So, with a half inch seam allowance, those pattern pieces should actually overlap by 1″.
    Try that and see how they fit.

LINK
    Anne @alc13

Yes, I appreciate the difference between SA vs cut edge, although it’s helpful to know that the expected length difference is 1 inch. I do seem to have a bit too much length in the facing piece but I can make it work.

Thanks so much for your replies!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.