Oliver + S

Assembling pattern pieces

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    stephaniemconley @stephaniemconley

Hi! I am trying to assemble the pieces of the bedtime pajamas. I don’t know if I should overlap the dark circles with the number and letter inside or just lay those pieces next to each other touching (not overlapping) and tape. All other pdf’s I use overlap the placement letters. Any advice is appreciated!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I don’t have it in front of me but I believe they abut rather than overlap, and you should be using the pattern lines and grid lines primarily, with the numbers and letter to help with figuring out which tiles go together for which pattern piece. Can you follow the line of pattern piece and see where it makes the most sense to place it to double check? It may be easier to see how it works for some pairs of tiles than for others, but once you get the concept, they’ll all work the same way.

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

Yes, as Sarvi said, the dark circles with numbers only show you which pages go next to each other. the grid lines are what need to be lined up with each other so that all grids form a 1″ square. Although I have found that, on larger pattern pieces especially, sometimes in order to correctly line up the pattern lines the grid lines will be a little off.

LINK
    stephaniemconley @stephaniemconley

Ok, so on the pieces I have printed there is usually one end with grid across the end of the piece. And the piece it attaches to does not have grid across the end of the piece. Does that sound right?

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Where are you? Australia or somewhere that uses A4 or in USA that uses letter size paper? You can use either but something sounds off.

Here’s one I’ve put together 🙂 http://www.flickr.com/photos/73669617@N07/11059853075/

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

Hm……do you mean that there is not a line across one end of the piece ? There should be a solid grid line around all 4 edges of the paper. You will always cut exactly on a grid line and line it up with another grid line. I wonder if you are having the same problem I have with one of my printers. The pattern pieces all print without a grid line on the bottom of the page, however, I assumed it was a problem with my printer because it only does it with the laptop connected to the printer that is in the house. When I go out to our office and use our business computer and printer, it prints perfectly with a solid grid line along all four edges.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Oh really, that’s interesting — my dinky home printer (that came free with my computer) also doesn’t print all the grid lines, but I assumed those were a backup to just following the pattern line. I didn’t realize that different printers behaved differently!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I seem to remember Liesl saying that matching the pattern lines was most important and the grid slightly less so. I think in Australia the A4 is a slightly different size and it means that I often line up the pattern lines in preference to the grid. Hope it starts to MK sense and come together soon Stephanie!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.