Oliver + S

Altering the bedtime story pattern…..amount of cloth to buy?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    koryaz @koryaz

Has anybody altered this pattern to make it longer? I want to adapt it to make an alternative to the hospital gowns for my niece (she is 5 and will be having heart surgery in June). I figured I can just trace out the pieces, add some length to the tunic, shorten the sleeves and it would be ok.

The problem is….I don’t know how much cloth I should buy to make sure I have enough to make it! If I was making the standard pattern I could just go by the envelope, but I am afraid of getting too little fabric to make this for her. Is there a general rule of thumb so you can be sure to get enough fabric in a case like this?

I don’t have the actual pattern yet (I ordered it online), so I’m not even sure that just adding a 1/2 yard or so would be enough when I lay out the pieces for cutting. Any help would be appreciated!

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

I think the best thing would be to determine exactly how long you want it first–then compare wih finished length chart which you can find on the pattern page here on he site.

Then will you be making the pants?

If you are NOT making pants you could use that yardage (which is included in fabric requirements) but adjust the fabric B based on the size you use.

Say you make a size 5 top but want size 12 length–I would purchase size 5 or 6 if you are anxious and fabric B in size 12 yardage.

I hope that made a touch of sense.

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

You will probably have a ton of extra fabric that way but maybe you could make a mini gown for her favorite stuffed animal with any leftovers?

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Also I would consider using snaps instead of buttons so the nurses/doctors can have easy access if needed quickly. (I’m a nurse, things like that pop into my mind! LOL. Also I’m sorry for babbling)

LINK
    koryaz @koryaz

Yeah, I was going to make pants for her, too. Hospitals can be chilly and anyway, she’s gonna need something comfy for a week or two while she recovers at home.

Eh, I guess if I can’t use the leftover fabric I can always donate it to the ladies sewing club at my church, right? 😉

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Well I thinkk you would be fine adding 1/2 yard that’s 17 extra inches of possible length you would gain. You’ll also need to add to fabric b.

I hope she recovers quickly with minimal complications! Thank you for he idea of turning this into a hospital gown! My daughter will need surgery in a year or two and I love this idea!

LINK
    koryaz @koryaz

I’ll try that for now. Thanks for the kind wishes for her recovery, and I hope your daughter will also have a quick recovery when she has her surgery!

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Any time! I know how stressful hospitalizations are…my critter has a pretty extensive medical history, even at (almost!) age 3. It’s nice to have something special and comforting!

I hope someone with more experience (especially with the larger sizes) pops on! I’ve only made the 2T version, but I can see how it can easily be extended.

My only concern now (after pondering some more), would be if you could get the back AND front sides out of the same 1/2 yard cut. That would depend on the cutting layout really.

If all else fails, I would do the lazy thing, and see which finished length of the larger sizes you want for the tops, and buy that yardage.

LINK
    koryaz @koryaz

Well…..I finished making the tops! (Three of ’em…..plus another pattern from a different manufacturer, and a quilt……)

I shortened the sleeves (cut the pattern piece in half) and lengthened the jacket pieces by 6 inches. I made them in a size 5. This made them a sleepshirt/nightgown length.

I also attached the ties differently. I tucked the ones by the neckband actually into the neckband piece before stitching it shut on the short ends, and attached the other two with zigzag stitching instead of edgestitching.

I didn’t have time to make the matching pants, but I think I still have enough fabric to make them should I wish to do so later.

I made the pajama set for her little brother in one of the fabrics she chose for the kimonos so this little “superheroine” and her “sidekick” can match on occasion. 😉

Will post the pix later. I’m kinda tired right now and getting a crown replaced today didn’t help.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.