Oliver + S

Altering for skinny child!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    tram @tramesque

My almost 2 yo daughter is size 18-24 months in height, but her weight is within the 12-18 months size. I’ve been hovering over the Playtime pattern for months, but would really like to know first if it’s possible to adjust to make the bodice smaller. I’d like the dress to be more fitted rather than loose, even if it means it won’t last long as she grows.

LINK
    Enbee @Enbee

I haven’t made this dress, but I have adjusted a couple of patterns for my son when the weight and height didn’t line up for a single size (although he tends to go in the other direction – he’s got short legs). What I’ve done is to trace the width for one size and the height for another, connecting the lines where necessary. I’ve read on here that if the sizes are very far apart (if your daughter were 3 or 4 sizes taller than her weight would suggest) that you don’t want to carry that on indefinitely, but for a singe-size disparity, I think this strategy would work fine.

For pattern markings, I go with the ones that correlate to the size I’m using for the width.

LINK
    tram @tramesque

Thanks for that tip! I’m pretty new to sewing and am strangely much more comfortable drafting my own pattern than working with professional patterns. It’s partly because my kids are super skinny and need a lot of modification from standard patterns. Love these Oliver patterns but hesitant about the modifications I’d need to make. Maybe I’ll look around the forums for more tips/tricks on sizing patterns.

LINK
    Deanna @Deanna

So, I have done this for this pattern. My daughter’s chest and waist size put her in a 18/24 size. However, She was a 2/3 in length. I made the bodice in the 18/24 size and added length to the skirt and arms so that they corresponded to the right length. Here it is:

O&S playtime Dress front

The only thing is that it makes it a bit more difficult to get off. (Ie pull her arms out and put them in.) But we still manage it. Liesl has mentioned that she does this all the time sewing for her daughter. However you don’t want to go more than two sizes smaller or else the proportions get off.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.