Oliver + S

adding knee patches/changes to pockets and fly

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    sosew @sosew

I’m trying to sew this pattern into something like these

http://www.teacollection.com/product/3F22304/boys-pants-denim-like-knit-playwear-pant.html#indigo

I’ve tracked down the fabric from an etsy seller. I’m fine with the pockets as is on the afer school pants, but i would like to add something like those knee patches. Any thoughts?

I was thinking to just cut a square of fabric and then sew it onto the front leg pieces with the top and bottom ends tucked under before i put the pants together (then the sides will get sewn into the side seams). Would that work? Any other ideas?

If I do want to change the pockets/and or add a fake fly, are there any good tutorials to check out?

Thanks!!

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I would use the Field trip pants but change the pockets to that of the sandbox pants. I think this would give the closest look of the inspiration pants. There is a tutorial on the O+S blog on adding a zipper fly too.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I would second the field trip as the basis for this knock off as it has all the paneling and the fake fly. I would use the pockets from the sandbox pants to mimic the top pockets.

What fabric are you using? I’ve been asked to make some jeans for a boy who refuses to wear jeans, I suspect because they’re not comfortable. 🙂

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I agree with the others, the After School is not a natural fit. I did a pattern mash using that pattern on the back cause I wanted the yoke bit, but you have to take out the side panels and widen the main part. All a bit troublesome. Field trip is definitely the best starting point.

To do an external pocket like that I imagine you’d square off the main panel at the top outside corner (where the pocket opening would normally be). Now this can be the back of the pocket.

Then cut whatever shape pocket you like with a little facing to finish the pocket opening edge.

LINK
    sosew @sosew

ok, twist my arm and i will buy that one instead 😉

i might try to sell the after school (its unopened/unused) in that case if anyone is interested. I wonder if the style would work in the french terry also though. I’m trying to make comfy pants for my 2 year olds who refuse to wear jeans/real pants

the fabric is from here

https://www.etsy.com/shop/StylishFabric/search?search_query=french+terry&order=date_desc&view_type=gallery&ref=shop_search

its at my parents house in the states so i havent seen it yet but the picture looks nice. m

LINK
    sosew @sosew

LightningMcStitch, do i understand your instructions (since i dont own the sandbox pattern and i cant get it just for the pockets)

– extend the sides of the main front legs so that they go all the way to the seam (so basically no pocket at all).

– then cut a piece that is the pocket that will just sit on top of the pant, and add facing to the open edge.

– sew the top and outside edge of the pocket into the seams and fold over and sew down the inside edge to the pant (or would you add facing to these parts as well?)

LINK
    sosew @sosew

oh, found this!

http://www.danamadeit.com/2008/07/tutorial-kid-pants-with-pockets.html

id still like to sew it into the waistband, any tips?

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

This maybe slightly tricky with the field trip as they have a pseudo waistband rather than a real one. But I think if you left off the belt loops and folded the waistband facing to the front rather than the back you could catch an extended top of the pocket, making it look as if they were sewn into the waistband. Hope that makes sense!

LINK
    sosew @sosew

thanks!, that makes perfect sense. i will leave of the belt loops for sure.

i didnt realize it was a psuedo. maybe i will just end it right at the waistband stitching level and add a second row of top stitching there.

LINK
    sosew @sosew

(i love brainstorming on this forum, thank!)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.