This week, among all the other very critical tasks on my to do list, I finished watching Shtisel on Netflix. Have you seen it? I thought it was so well done, so touching. It’s one of the best series I’ve watched in a long time. The conclusion was perfect and a bit surprising in its tenderness.
One of the main characters in the series is a young man named Akiva, a painter, struggling to find his way in ultra-orthodox Israel. His work was really quite lovely, and I got curious enough about it to start hunting online, only to stumble across this lovely profile of the real-life artist behind the pieces. Very moving.
If you’re thinking about sewing our Wyndham Robe + Sleep Shorts, these versions might inspire you. The use of multiple prints is fun, isn’t it?
This cute little gingham dress reminded me of our Jump Rope Dress with an added ruffle at the hem. And speaking of the Hide-and-Seek Dress, isn’t the direction of the stripes a playful way to use a single fabric?
I love the idea of a patchwork, or multiple fabric, Classic Shirt. Keep it unified by playing with scale in a limited color palette, or upcycle some old denim for a fun look.
Two more fun takes on the Classic Shirt: in silk with little contrast tabs on the chest pockets, or with sheer sleeves. I love the solid cuff on this style–really makes it pop.
- We didn’t watch Eurovision and I’m a bit sorry we missed it after reading about the kitchy fashion spectacle contained within.
- Did Corona and Zoom culture bring back the “going-out top“?
- Confused about which style of jeans are in vogue right now? Apparently we all are.
- The history of the word “bodice”.
- Looking for a way to use up some fabric scraps? What about weaving a rag rug?
- I’m not personally a sneakerhead, but I have a dear friend who is. (And I have my own addiction to high heels, so no judgements from me.)
- Your thoughts on the summer 2021 fashion trends? I am, surprisingly, in favor of most!
- We spent quite a bit of time on the beaches of Italy last summer, which I loved. Here are some inspiring photos of beaches in Spain if you’d like to join me in dreaming.
And that’s a wrap for this week! Enjoy your weekend, and we’ll be back next week with some inspiring sewing from the Advisors Circle (and maybe from me if I can cajole someone into taking some photos for me). Happy Memorial Day!