The Butterfly Blouse is sort of an un-basic basic. I’m completely fascinated by how a simple blouse like this can work for everyone, from the littlest babies to full-grown women. It’s an extremely versatile style that will be easy and comfortable to wear this summer but will also be great for layering in cooler weather. And it will take on a lot of different looks depending on your fabric choices and how it’s worn. It’s really all about your fabric and styling choices. Here are some examples to get you started, all with Pinterest links from our Customizing with Oliver + S Pinterest board.
- Older girls might like to wear the blouse with skinny jeans for another look.
- This fun botanical print feels really contemporary and ready for spring.
- I love a pale pastel-colored blouse worn with a printed skirt or pants.
- Sew the blouse in a pretty floral print like a Liberty lawn and pair it with our Puppet Show Shorts for a cute summer look.
- Another pretty floral.
- Try embroidery at the neckline or add pintucks to the peplum for a vintage feeling.
- So many pretty floral options for this blouse.
- Still more floral.
- Try a fun, bold print for summer.
- Make a sweet set by pairing the blouse with our bloomers pattern (it comes with the Tea Party Sundress, in the smaller size range of the Seashore Sundress, and as a digital single).
- Another matching blouse and bloomers set.
- Play with the direction of your stripes–vertical in the blouse and horizontal on the peplum.
- Or vice versa.
- Stripes are cute when they’re multicolored all going the same way, too.
- Pair two different colors and patterns for a completely different look.
- Another bold print for a bright summer top that would pair nicely with a solid bottom or with another smaller pattern.
- Consider using a solid color for the bias facing, and maybe even apply it to the outside neckline of the blouse instead of hiding it inside.
You could also sew the blouse in a solid knit fabric for another take on the summer basic, sort of like this one.
I’ll show you a bunch of ideas for the Butterfly Skirt tomorrow, followed by the Parachute Polo and Sweatpants later this week. Which one are you planning to sew first? We’re be doing sew-alongs for all of these styles, so stay tuned for details!