Oliver + S

Cooking and Baking

What's for Tea Today, Mum? A cooking thread.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 101 total)
  • LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I made this tonight http://www.pinterest.com/pin/73676143879970347/, I doubled the recipe but used much much less oil and substituted tinned tomatoes for fresh and 1/3 cup curry powder for green chillies.

It was so yummy, everyone had seconds, even Tildy.

@Rhythm, could I use desiccated coconut?

LINK
    Rhythm @rhythmtyagi

@Nicole, sure just steam the desiccated coconut before adding.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

@Rhythm, thank you!

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Just read your post- I love Alice Waters’ style of cooking! I discovered her for the first time when I went to Denver with a friend and visited a fantastic book shop (forgotten what it’s called but highly recommend it). I bought Simple Foods and one of hers on vegetables. This week I bought a secondhand copy of another one of hers as well. You can see I’m getting older as I’ve forgotten just about everything ie name of book shop and name of the two cookery books…

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

We call them spring onions in the UK.

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Oh, never heard that suggested before. Interesting.I presume it re-hydrates the coconut, does it?

LINK
    Rhythm @rhythmtyagi

Yup, rehydrate it!

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

I’ve gotten hooked on cabbage lately. Kale is a favourite which is good because there’s plenty of it at this time of year, but I think the one I like best is Cavolo Nero (black cabbage). I sautee it with just water or with a splash of Marsala wine added, then seasoned with salt and pepper and some Dijon mustard and a nice helping of cream or creme fraiche.

I’m having some tonight with two fried eggs and some bacon. So good! Even the kids like it!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have only recently discovered kale and I love it!

Served with eggs and bacon sounds very tasty.

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

Oh, it was so good! We almost fought over the last morsels.

After dinner last night I managed to make a ham and cheese pie for tonight, and while I was at it I also made the lamb meatballs in tomato sauce I had planned tomorrow night.

When I made the pies I chopped up too much leek and I mixed some extra egg and milk for the filling so I had left overs and made two smaller omelettes with leek for lunch today and tomorrow.

I love being on top of the cooking so I can just go home after work and relax and do whatever I please.

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

The kale was so good! We almost fought over the last morsels.

Last night I also made a pie for tonight and while I was at it – lamb meatballs in tomato sauce to be served with spaghetti tomorrow. Not sure where all that energy for cooking came from (normally I just crash on the sofa after dinner) but it feels very nice to know that I have two dinners and two lunches done.

I mixed too much egg and milk for the pie and I cut up too much leeks so I made two omelettes with leek and cheese in disposable aluminium pans to take to work for lunch. It was really good, and it was definitely something I’ll do again.
    Maybe with finely sliced Brussels sprouts instead …

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

The kale was delicious! We almost fought over the last morsels.

Last night we had a ham and cheese pie. Isabel and I in particular loves pie and I always wonder why I never make it more often – until I make it and feel it’s such a big process with the crust and the pre-baking etc. I like to have them prepared in advance – does anyone know if you can prebake a home made pie crust and then freeze it? Or is it better to roll out the dough into a aluminium tin and freeze it unbaked?

I’ve managed to use up some of the stuff in the freezer and now have room for new stuff … a few pie crusts ready to go would be perfect!

LINK
    vothgirl @vothgirl

I think the texture of the pie crust would be better if it was frozen prior to baking. I use this recipe:
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/12/p-p-p-pie_crust_and_its_p-p-p-perfect/

and it’s fantastic – freezing actually improves the texture and makes it more flaky! I often make a couple extra and freeze them as flattened balls in ziploc bags. All you have to do then is pull one out and thaw it when you need it, then roll out and put in the pie dish. This recipe works for either sweet pies (like my favorite, rosemary apple pie) or savory pies like the turkey pot pie I make every year to use up leftover Thanksgiving turkey :-).

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by vothgirl.
    LINK
    Rhythm @rhythmtyagi

I use this recipe for pure crust -http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2009/05/french-tart-dough-a-la-francaise/

No freezing required, turns out great!

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

@vothgirl & @rhythm thank you for the links, I’m always on the look out for a good pie crust recipe.

I often do the “shape in a disc and freeze” an extra pie crust (I make mine in a food processor and I often make extra pie crust to justify the hassle of having to wash it), but I find even the process of taking it out and thawing it before rolling/thumbing it out into a pie tin is too much some nights. Having it already in a tin would be ideal. I’m going to give it a try.

I’m thinking since it’s recommended to chill the dough before baking it, pre-baking a frozen pie crust would work well. I’ll be sure to report back 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.