Oliver + S

What are you sewing now?

Viewing 15 posts - 5,626 through 5,640 (of 6,027 total)
  • LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I’ve made the Mabel and Iris shorts. I haven’t made any top patterns. With the Mabel I used one waistband smaller but with the Iris shorts I redrafted the crotch curve and waistband. Given I have even more fit issues with my upper body, narrow shoulders, narrow back, full bust, comparatively long (for patterns but short for my height), it would probably require a fair bit of work. And I suspect the waist seam would not be very flattering. Now I’ve reflected on all that I’m glad I haven’t chosen to buy it 🙂
    But yes,I think overall it would work well on a pear shape and that crossover should be great for nursing. Looking forward to seeing yours made up.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Ok I see where it is now. Sorry, it sounds as though I am ignorant. I have to alter patterns also and it has just become second nature to take any pattern I want to use for myself and go ahead and alter it to fit me. I am convinced now though that trying the Appleton dress pattern woukd actually be kind of a nice chance to see if the many changes I normally make to a pattern are not required this time around. I’ve been having a look at some other pattern companies also to check out what they have. The nimber seems to be increasing which is a positive sign. But then again I am of the school of thought (and do) that you don’t have to have a pattern “for curvy girls” if you are a curvy girl, you just need to do the altering thing for any pattern and it will fit. It is just nice to see that there is a choice out there now so if you don’t want to, or don’t know how, you can still sew something that would fit well on your body.

I was planning to sew a pair of shorts for my ten year old today but he kept running away when I asked him to be measured. I guess he doesn’t want a nice new pair of shorts after all😕 I will have to hold him down and measure him when he is home because he needs them regardless.

Instead, I think I will go ahead and cut out a city weekend bubble dress for the baby and maybe a Garden party dress aswell.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Heidi, I just purchased the odf pattern of the Appleton. Did you have issues downloading it at all? It doesn’t seem to want to load on the ipad😕

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

And it seems that I have lost my ability to soell😕 SPELL!! 😂😂

LINK

I initially thought that too but the file is named “1201_pattern”. Not sure why. 🙂
    I’ve finished the Jalie Bella dress, so small and cute!
    Now I’m hemming a UFO for a gift but I’ve been fighting my coverstitch for these last 4 hems 🙁

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I managed to get it to load in the end, thankfully.

Will you show us the jalie bella dress Heidi?

I have to wash the cw fabric so while that is happening, I might work on some hopscotch tops.

LINK

It’s very cute 🙂 It’s drying as I had to wash out the stabiliser I used for the hem. Yes I’ll get pictures up 🙂

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Hello Lovelies, so nice to read that people are sewing.

Tilly received a last minute 6th Birthday invite and the little girls mother asked me to sew something so nicely, I couldn’t say no. She requested something ‘Kardashian’ style and it took a wee bit of research (by the Twins) to find out that there is a children’s label.

Luckily, I had a Music Class blouse that I cut but missed sewing for Lidia (the sister cut in City Weekend branches was sent over seas and sewn up by the lovely Melani). The fabric, a delicate gold foil flecked voile seems just the job.

I hope she likes it.

Next up I am sewing a memento for a bride. I previously made a Forget-me-not purse for her older sister on occasion of her wedding day, from her late mothers wedding dress.

This time the Aunt requested a jewellery roll. I am very nervous as I do not have a pattern and I DO NOT do crafts.

The Aunt is out local Health Nurse and has been a wonderful support to me so I want it perfect.
    Wish me luck!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Nicole, I found this freebie from fabric.com http://contentm.mkt2178.com/lp/814/19348/HP_Bijoux_Baby_Jewelry_Roll.pdf?cm_re=category-_-crhdqtr-_-Free%20HP%20DL%20Jelly%20Roll. It might help for a start. No crafts promise!

I am slowly making my way through the Garden party dress I cut while waiting for the other fabric to dry. I have that with the bubble dress pattern laid out ready to go, which I hope to start on tomorrow.

Then hopefully I will have the shirt fabric for the boy/ man sewing. This is going to take up a considerable amount of time considering dh is busy and isn’t home alot to be measured. It’s a case of grab him quick and measure and write them down so one can refer to them without having to repeat. The boy child on the other hand needs sizing up (already😩) when I made him something back in August and it is now too small! I have drill and could start on the trousers but I prefer to get these little dresses done first and that way, I can just devote my sewing time to all the components of both outfits.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

@justsewit you darling, that is perfect!

LINK
    Ock Du Spock @Ock Du Spock

It’s been so long since I’ve been on the forum, I’m having trouble working it out! So I have to join a group to be able to comment now?

I wanted to say a huge thanks to the lovely ladies who helped me with my topstitching problems over the weekend… I’ve got to go buy some more topstitching thread now I think I have mostly sorted my tension issues out! I’m wondering if I should have been using a topstitching needle as well? I was using my denim needle… would that make a difference? I dont normally topstitch with super thick thread, so it’s been a bit of a learning curve getting the settings right! My foggy brain is not helping matters… I am rather desperately sewing myself some new skirts for summer… as my growing belly seems to have outgrown my normal clothes!

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

@motherof5, I’d love to see the forget-me-not purse. My youngest sister’s boyfriend will be proposing to her sometime this month and I have saved the dress my mother wore to my and my other sister’s wedding. I want to make something out of it for her.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

@motherof5😀 You are most welcome.

@ock-du-spock
    does mean we can jump up and down and squeal with excitement and be absolute dags because there is another oliver and s forum little one on the way??

(For overseas readers in the sense “dag” means to act a little bit silly. It is Aussie slang).

So glad to help and that you got it sorted.

@roundtheworldgirl
    what a beautiful beautiful sentiment! Are you able use the bulk of it to make a skirt or something for maybe pre wedding celebrations and then use it as part of her wedding outfit? Or a special bag would be ideal. Something that could possibly become an heirloom in its own right? So exciting for your family.

I am disappointed! My parcel bearing male shirt fabric did not arrive and that means haunting the post office for the next week! I am still working on baby girl’s two dresses though so will need to crack on and get them completed so I can spend that good bit of time on male clothing. I am trying to work out if the Jalie pants pattern is mid or low rise – they (both😱) have pot bellies😕) I want them to fit and be smart casual – no farm clothes for this event!

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

@ock-du-spock CONGRATULATIONS! So exciting! When is the little bundle due? Will your lovely cloth diapers last? 🙂

I am currently sewing something I NEVER thought I would sew – underwear for my girls. I made a pair on a whim when I found a free pattern at smalldreamfactory. They did not fit right at all, which compelled me to try to alter the pattern to make them fit properly. And then I altered it differently for each girl. I’ve made them each four pairs so far and I think I have the fit down. It’s really funny, though – in rtw, they wear the same underwear size, but in custom-fit, the two look quite different. My 5-year-old has what we call a booty, and hers require quite a bit more fabric than those of my 6-year-old. They are quite fun to sew!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Is it a good way to use up knit scraps? I might take a whack at it some time, just for fun.

Viewing 15 posts - 5,626 through 5,640 (of 6,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.