Oliver + S

What are you sewing now?

Viewing 15 posts - 5,116 through 5,130 (of 6,027 total)
  • LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Last night, after reading about multi sensory spelling techniques, I decided to make fabric flash cards of elements in the Periodic Table! I made the first 3 alkaline metals, Beryllium (Be), Magnesium (Mg) and Calcium (Ca).
    One of the more unusual things I’ve sewn πŸ™‚ These are quite large 6″x4″.
    I also liked my husband’s response, “They would be so much easier to make if you had an embroidery machine” πŸ™‚
    Be, Mg, Ca

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Ooh, is that a hint? Are you getting a present?

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Finished the layette bodysuit; thanks for the push Tamara! I think it will be very comfortable for the baby as it is made of double-faced gauze that was a major pain in the patoot to sew. Major. But it’s all done and maybe tomorrow I will finish the pants. Check!

LINK
    Rhythm @rhythmtyagi

Started off jump rope view b for my niece. Pink silk dupioni with black buttons and black ric rac trim.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Heidi, I love the cards. Are you going to do the whole table?

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

probably not the whole table, well not yet πŸ™‚ , at the moment I’m hoping to make the first 20 elements as this is what the year 8 and 9 students need to learn.
    I even got to use them yesterday with a student πŸ™‚

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

It’s a fabulous tool to have Heidi! Like a rag book for chemistry students.

I have a pile of fabric on my cutting table as I am currently having a solitary debate over what to use for the bubble I want to make. I think I am leaning towards either the Heather ross print I used for the layette bodysuit or the Cape Ann print I used for the layette bodysuit.

Or maybe I will just do two and use both.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

I’ve been a long time away from sewing for kids – about as long as Adelaide has been without rain πŸ™ but I began a pair of the Lunchbox culottes yesterday. Size 4 in cotton poplin. This is my first attempt of this pattern, and I’m pleased with it so far. I particularly like the design of the inseam pockets – the skirt to pocket seams are well hidden inside the skirt, and this is not common to most inseam pocket patterns – including O +S, thus far. Thank you, Liesl and Todd for the extra work you have expended designing this aspect of the pattern; inseam pockets can be hard to finish nicely, and not have them ‘stick out’ from the side seams. How the garment will be received by the recipient remains to be seen; although pockets are a major persuader with this child. Looking forward to posting a picture when finished. This make time a little while as I’m passing the unfinished/tacked garment to the mother so she can check the elastic, and the length. I thought that if it’s a “hit”, either a Badminton top, or a Swing Skirt ‘top’ in the same fabric would look very sweet.

Meanwhile, congratulations to Heidi, and RTWG on their projects. Double faced gauze – is that the same as “double gauze”? I’m interested to know what the problem was with sewing it – only for future info. I have not experience of the fabric. Heidi, I admire you go to itness re. the Periodic Table in cloth. Different coloured embroidery thread/wool would also help in the teaching aspect, and I think your husband’s response is heartwarming. Tamara, what about making the second bubble dress in a size big enough to fit Chloe next summer? I’m fond of cutting several outfits from the one pattern at the same time, myself – something about getting into the zone. Rhythm, really looking fwd to seeing your JumpRope. Haven’t made that one yet, and your fabrics sound luscious.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I assume double-faced gauze is the same as double gauze, but as I’ve never bought one of the fabrics labeled the latter I can’t confirm. The trouble with it is that although it’s not knit, its loose weave and the fact that it is two layers of fabric tacked together here and there, make it unrelentingly shifty under the presser foot. I should have used my walking foot, I bet that would have helped. Also my particular fabric was plaid, so all the shiftiness shows. Fortunately the fabric is generally rumply in nature so now that it’s all sewn up (and I’ve had a day away from it) I think it just looks lived-in. It’s super-soft, though, so excellent for baby wear from that standpoint.

I bet the Swingset top would look adorable with the culottes!

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Third-trimester insomnia has kicked in. I crept out of bed at 11:30 and spent an hour and a half sewing a teeny Geranium dress for my sister-in-law’s baby-girl-due-in-July. Unsure how I want to trim it, though, so I am heading back to bed. If anyone is around, feel free to take a peek and give me a suggestion! Three photos, set starts here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23557464@N03/16653157307/.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh I am in complete understanding of the insomnia Masha! I had that too! Which month are you due? So glad you did the layette first – its done then and you can focus on the needs of the bigger kiddies for a while longer before baby demands the whole of your attention. I have posted on your photo btw re: your need for input on the little dress for your niece.

Fiona, I am basically going through the list of what didn’t get done while Chloe was still the bun in the oven. I will certainly get to making the bubble dress for next summer because by then I will have an array of other patterns to choose from aswell. At the moment though it is sewing like mad in the 3-6 months sizes and sewing so that it can accommodate for transitional weather. The bubble is perfect for popping a singlet or bodysuit on underneath or a cardi over the top if layering is required.

I ended up cutting three bubbles out and will assembly line them as they all have white bases. Then I can get on with other things.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I’m due late May – just about nine weeks left. The time is just speeding by. I am impressed with your ability to sew post-baby, Tamara. I am expecting not to have any time to do so in the first few months at least!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Wow not long to go at all!

Yes I thought I would have no opportunity either for the first few months but she isn’t the trickiest baby I’ve had. We seem to have fallen into a little pattern where she will sleep long enough for me to do something. Of course it doesn’t always go to plan like yesterday where she spent some time in the swing while I did some stitching and consequently had to be woken just minutes after falling asleep because I had to collect the kids from the bus (and that was another another story in itself). It was just one of those days and it happens to the best of us unfortunately.

I sew during nap times mostly but the am nap is out alot due to school runs so she doesn’t generally get to sleep in her hammock until mid morning. Sometimes you just have to do other things but I try to do things such as the dishwasher when she is awake now as it stimulates her. When she was very tiny I would wait to put her to bed and even sometimes resorted to the baby carrier.

Basically you find your niche. But I think the one challenge you will face that I don’t have this time around is that of the little ones who are older but too little for school. If you can manage one project say per week you will be dong well. Just do a little each day and if it doesn’t happen then that’s ok.

I sewed around my older two when they were babies also but the difference is that it was mostly handstitching – smocking and such. I wouldn’t have the machine out because our circumstances were different back then and I didn’t have the luxury of a designated sewing room. We didn’t have the challenge of school runs and bus runs so we are facing some new tricky situations in themselves that have the potential to dampen the day.

I just make sure that when Chloe is awake she has my attention and I leave sewing for when she is resting – the swing time yesterday was an attempt to get her to sleep – this way we are both happy.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Three weeks into sewing Hugo’s peacoat and the end is in sight
    I have a long sewing room so I put Trixie up one end and by the time she wriggles her way to me I have a bit done and move her back again

That said, I think it is time for the barricades to go up, she will be crawling soon I guess

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Yes long sewing rooms do have that advantage don’t they?

Yesterday, I made a start on the three bubbles by sewing the skirt pieces together. I have two yet to press out the curvy sides and then I can sew the linings to the skirt of two of them because I haven’t yet cut a third.

I also have topstitching on the little Tea party dress bodice to do amd make self covered buttons for it. This may be the most achievable goal for today possibly.

I probably won’t get alot done today as Chloe seems out of sorts. Another growth week I expect. But we will do our best to stitch a line or two if it can at all be achieved.

Viewing 15 posts - 5,116 through 5,130 (of 6,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.