Oliver + S

Stupid things I’ve done while sewing O&S patterns

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 157 total)
  • LINK
    Robin @Robin

Oh Sarvi, thank you for sharing that.

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Accidentally picking up my small sized rotary cutter off the table thinking it was my tracing wheel and then using it…yep, did that today. That’ll teach me to tidy up as I go along.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Perfect, carefully applied piping, seams trimmed … and forgot to sandwich the collar in there. Sigh! Last minute Christmas sewing at its best.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I hear you sewing sister…
    Re-cut and sew pockets for a Ice Cream dress, after I attach them realise I cut the pockets from the border fabric and vice versa.

Decide not to underline neck yoke, assure myself it will be firm enough, end up up cutting a jigsawing soft interfacing through the openings to add substance.

Go with a size 2T length of a size 5 for best fit but as the fabric is too fragile to cut the ‘V’s It has to be yanked over said child’s head with great force.

All while alternately feeding a cheerful but upset tummied bubby and scrubbing nappies.

Fa la la la la, la la la la

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Deck the halls with boughs of … how about Stilton, port, and fig jam?

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I’m thinking about starting a new topic here entitled “Stupid things I’ve done while writing/grading/illustrating/formatting oliver + s patterns.” Fortunately, most of them get caught in the process, and if not then, during testing. But there are so many potential pitfalls. You’d all feel like sewing geniuses, comparatively speaking.

Happy holidays, everyone!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Haha, I’m reminding myself that my 5 year old has so little experience of piping that I can always tell her it’s a design choice for it to look like that, much as she claims that some of the notes she plays on violin are “beautiful to me, anyway…”

Happy Holidays, folks!

LINK
    Kerrilyn @Kerrilyn

I just finished an icecream for my younger daughter out of the left over fabric from her much older sister’s bistro at their request. I remembered to check the measurements and alter the pattern as she is tall and slim but never thought to hold the fabric up to her. She has a very different coloring to her sister and the pale color makes her look sick! So I shall be dyeing it a darker shade as soon as I get a chance to buy some dye.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Ooh, that’s a sneaky one — I wouldn’t have thought of that either. Hang in there, ladies, we’re in the home stretch.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I made a gorgeous white Coral fleece Cosy Bear hood from LTTS today. As I was sewing the ears down, the last step, to help them sit up nicley. I discovered I had left a pin in the bottom of one of the ears, inside the lined hood I had already sewn shut! I had to make a tiny hole behind the ear to get the pin out.
    Lesson learnt, don’t use matching pins in very thick springy fabric and check in the really think parts for pins!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

@with love Heidi, that would make you a slightly less then favourite Aunty….

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I suspect it definitely would! especially as it is going to be a first birthday present.

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

Aaaargh, the irritation of discovering that you forgot to change your stitch length back between basting and sewing. Now to go and unpick a well colour matched thread on a moderately loosely woven linen/cotton blend, all to be packed in while the babe has her first ever over an hour nap in her crib without being latched on…. quick, come here unpicker….

LINK
    Kerrilyn @Kerrilyn

Oh I have done that too. So frustrating.

I have just sewn two rows of stitching a few mm apart on the class picnic elastic ends after having to fish out 3 of the 6 ends on the previous ones as they had come undone. Next time I will read all forum posts on a pattern before making. I am sure it will save time.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Dubhels I would probably leave it. There’s a whole tribe of long stitch is best sewers out there, or I’d just stitch over with a shorter stitch length. Not that I’ve ever done that…. certainly not often enough to have a contingency plan already in place. 🙂

What I’d love is a sewing machine that made a beeping sound like a reversing truck when doing gathering stitches. Because I’ve found you can’t get away with sewing a garment together with a basting length stitch and the needle tension backed way off.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 157 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.