Whew, it’s been a long time since our last Weekend Links post! A few things have been happening in my life lately (brought the famous S to college, bought and am renovating a new apartment, etc.) and I’m sure you’ve been busy too. But I have missed these Friday posts, and I’ve been saving up lots of interesting articles to share with you. So let’s go!
Are you as still excited about the wide-legged trousers and midi-A-line skirt silhouette as I am? I’m re-making a black silk/linen Garibaldi Skirt and looking forward to wearing my Cannes Trousers again this fall.
- Art and chemistry: a history of color in art.
- If you’ve ever sewn swimwear you know it’s not the easiest thing to make, which is why I thought this article about making and selling swimwear is particularly interesting.
- Is tween fashion important? When we first launched Oliver + S, our children’s clothing brand, many of you praised us for making clothes for real kids instead of putting them in styles you considered to be inappropriate for their age. Are we dressing our children in clothing that’s too old for them?
- For some reason my eyes tricked me into reading 30 YEARS instead of 30 wears. When I realized my mistake I felt a little shocked, although I know I shouldn’t be anymore…
- I hope this means we’re going to see a lot more fiber art in the future. After seeing the Dorothy Liebes exhibit at the Cooper Hewitt this summer I think it would be nice to see more textile-based exhibits. In addition to fashion, of course.
- I’m all in favor of minimalism (I’m pretty minimalist, myself), but I’m not a big fan of the cut of a lot of clothing right now. Too oversized, too boxy, even the basic women’s T-shirts are huge with a big, wide neckband. I’m definitely looking forward to what comes after this round of normcore.
- Who else is excited to see these exhibits featuring female designers? I may need to book a ticket to Paris to see the Iris van Herpen, especially. Are you coming?
In other news, we’re about two weeks from releasing our new fall patterns, so stay tuned! And have a terrific weekend.