I dragged my feet when it came to writing today’s post. S and I were supposed to be on spring vacation in Nice this week, and when it was announced last night that we’ll be in lock-down for at least another month I went into a little funk/panic and wasn’t in much of a mood for writing anything. It feels like we’re all taking turns freaking out and calming each other right now, doesn’t it?
When I told some friends that I felt bad about feeling sad and angry at the way this virus is changing our plans they reminded me that those are perfectly valid feelings to be having right now. Obviously it’s a serious and stressful time, and we’re worried about the health of the people around us and the many people who are working so hard and endangering their own health to keep us safe. But it’s still OK to feel upset about how this is affecting our own lives and plans. I’m sure you’re missing something you had planned, too. I’m sorry. It stinks. I hope you’ll allow yourself to feel those feelings! And then hopefully we can take turns helping each other through them.
This afternoon S and I made ourselves a little pot of orange marmalade from the orange tree on our balcony, and it helped me to feel a little bit better. Well enough to write this post and add a few links, anyway. Maybe the links will help you to feel better? Sorry I can’t send you some marmalade. (And a big thank you to Erica for talking me through the recipe!)
These two adorable dresses would be fun to make, and you could use our Building Block Dress book to sew both of them!
Spain hasn’t run out of toilet paper, but apparently sales of alcohol, chocolate, and flour are way up. I think S and I are personally responsible for the chocolate and flour shortage. We’ve been cooking up a storm! S made an astonishing tart tatin the other day (her first pie crust!), and we made lasagna with a bechamel sauce instead of ricotta or cottage cheese (both not readily available here) last night. I’m going to be much heavier by the time this lock-down is over! What have you been cooking and baking?
- With all the chaos I had almost forgotten this Sunday is Easter! If you’re not really feeling up to celebrating in grand style either, this article helped me to not worry about it so much.
- Wouldn’t you love to glance out the window and see this? So fun.
- Don’t just cut your hair in quarantine; go for a totally new look!
- My favorite trend forecaster has given us all free to access to the most recent issue of Bloom magazine. Enjoy!
- Here is an interesting take on needlework and feminism. I think we can all take it to heart in our own sewing.
- A history of changing times and the end of lace.