Right now we’re in the process of looking at schools for S. This summer we’ll either be returning to New York where she’ll start middle school or we’ll be staying in Madrid for much longer and she’ll start the equivalent of middle school here. No matter where we end up, it’s a tough decision! I think we’re all leaning toward staying here in Madrid for longer, but if we stay we need to give up our Manhattan apartment since we can’t legally keep it for more than two years without living there. What do you think we should do?
No matter what we decide, we’re still enjoying Madrid. The light is so pretty this time of year. I told myself I’d use our digital SLR camera more often this year, but most of the time I just use my phone. You never know when you’re going to be passing through Plaza Mayor or Retiro Park and the light is just right….
What do you have planned for the weekend? I’ve got all sorts of sewing projects half finished that I want to complete. The Thinsulate for my Lisette coat finally arrived, so I’d like to get that done before spring!
Speaking of light and photos, the dramatic lighting in this photo of a pomegranate reminded of me of one of my very favorite ad campaigns ever, from Valentino.
I just love the architectural details of these two photos. Isn’t the smocking gorgeous? I’d love to try something like this.
Stunning stitched insects and their (formerly) living counterparts.
Weekend Reading (and Watching)
- Here’s a thoughtful piece on the sewing machine and changes in technology.
- And speaking of sewing machines, are apparel factory jobs going to be replaced by robots?
- A close look at some of Josef Frank’s timeless textile designs.
- Watch this: The traditions and people behind Harris Tweed.
- Watch this too: The art of making zellige mosaics. (Wow, the amount of labor involved!)
- I’ve been meaning to share this one with you for a few weeks now. This man designs and knits sweaters to coordinate with his travel destinations.
- Claire Shaeffer’s review of Masterworks: Unpacking Fashion confirms that I wish I hadn’t missed it. Hurry! It ends this weekend.
- The color palettes of film.
- Aren’t these painted plates beautiful?
- Portraits of people reading all over the world.
- What is couture, really?
We’ll be back next week with lots of fun things for you, including an special hemming tutorial I’m eager to share. Have a great weekend!