OK friends, you asked for a swimsuit sew-along. So let’s have one!
I’ll be sewing Lisette for Butterick B6358, and I hope you’ll join me. But if you prefer to sew this season’s other swimwear pattern, B6360, a lot of the tips and tricks will still apply to your suit. I won’t lead you through each of the steps, but you’ll benefit from a lot of the discussion and explanations, especially if you’re new to sewing swimwear.
We’ll hold the sew-along starting May 23, and we’ll space out the days a bit so you’ll have time to keep up. Of course, you can join whenever you want, so if that week isn’t great for you feel free to participate whenever it’s convenient. The sew-along will still be here waiting for you, and you can add your photos until the end of June. (That will give you lots of time!)
This cute, lined swimsuit pattern can be made as either a one-piece or a two-piece. Both are close-fitting, cut on crosswise grain, and elasticized. The top has front ties, shoulder straps that cross at back, removable bra cups, and a bra hook at back. The bottom is high-waisted and includes a cute little back scoop and tie. This pattern is designed and intended for two-way stretch knits.
Swimwear Sew-Along Schedule
This schedule may change as I continue to assemble each part of the sew-along. We may want to spend more time in some areas or move things around a bit for efficiency and clarity, but for now here is a tentative schedule:
- May 5 Fabric and trims: assembling what you’ll need. I’ll help you decide which trims and materials you want to use and where to find them.
- May 23 Day 1: Cut out your fabric and practice your sewing. Find the right stitches and techniques for your suit.
- May 25 Day 2: Assemble the tie front and front facing. Finish the upper edge of the one- and two-piece suits.
- May 27 Day 3: Assemble the two-piece bottom and lining.
- May 30 Day 4: Finish the upper edge of the one-piece and two-piece front, sew the leg elastic, and finish the two-piece bottoms.
- May 31 Day 5: Assemble and attach the shoulder straps, finish the one- and two-piece suits.
How to Participate
Be sure to get your pattern if you haven’t already. You can find the pattern for both suits right here.
This Thursday I’ll talk about the fabric and supplies you’ll need. Then we’ll see you in the Discussion Forums Sew Alongs group on Monday May 23! Tag your in process photos of your swimsuit with #sewlisette and #B6296 or #B6360 on Instagram so we can all see.
If you have a blog, please feel free to grab the sew-along badge you can add to your posts or to your sidebar, to let people know you’re participating.
And, as with our last several sew-alongs, we’ll created a link up where you can add a link to a photo of your finished suit.