We have reached the third and final day of the Cappuccino Dress + Tunic sew-along. Today we will be finishing up the dress/tunic.
It’s getting very exciting because we’re so close to the end. Off we go!
Prepare/attach the sleeve
1. For View B, sew a line of basting stitches 5/8” from the sleeve’s bottom edge, which will serve as a folding line for the sleeve hem. To prepare the sleeve for hemming, fold and press the fabric’s bottom raw edge to the basting line on the wrong side. Then fold and press again along the basting line to enclose the raw edge and create a narrow hem. Unfold the hem, keeping the creases in place for finishing the sleeve hem later.
2. For View A, pin the sleeves to the dress, with right sides together, matching the notches and edges. Stitch the sleeves with a 1/2” seam, lockstitching or backstitching at both ends. Finish the seam using your preferred method and press the seam allowances toward the sleeve.
Sew the side seams
1. Pin the dress/tunic front and back together at the side seams and underarm seams, with right sides facing and aligning the raw edges, notches, and hem edges. Unfold the sleeve hem (View B) and join each side seam and sleeve with one continuous 1/2” seam.
2. Clip the seam allowances only at the underarm curve on each side, taking care not to clip through the stitches.
3. Press the seam allowances open or toward the back and finish them using your preferred method.
Attach the sleeve band (View A)
1. Fold each sleeve band in half lengthwise, with right sides together, and press a crease into the center. Sew a line of basting stitches 3/8” from the sleeve band’s bottom, un-notched edge. Fold and press the fabric to the wrong side along the basting line.
2. Unfold each sleeve band’s edge and pin the short ends of the sleeve band, with right sides together and matching the short edges and notches. Stitch the short edges together with a 1/2” seam, backstitching or lockstitching at both ends. Press the seam allowances open.
3. Pin the sleeve band’s long notched edges to the sleeve’s raw edge, with right sides together, matching the seams and notches. Stitch the band in place with a 1/2” seam, backstitching or lockstitching at each end of the seam. Trim the seam allowance to 1/4” and press the sleeve band and remaining seam allowances away from the sleeve. Repeat to attach the second sleeve band and sleeve.
4. Fold the band along the center crease and pin the folded edge to cover the stitching line from Step 3, pinning from the right side of the sleeve. Edgestitch the seam to finish the sleeve band, catching the folded edge in the seam.
Finish the dress/tunic
To hem the dress/tunic, sew a line of basting stitches 5/8” from the garment’s bottom raw edge, which will become the fold line for its hem. Fold and press the fabric’s bottom raw edge to the basting line on the wrong side. Then fold and press again along the basting line to enclose the raw edge and edge stitch the innermost fold to create a narrow hem.
You are done! Thank you for joining us during the sew-along. We do hope you will add photos of your completed Cappuccino dresses and tunics to the Liesl + Co Flickr group, we would love to see what you’ve created.