Oliver + S

News and Current Affairs

Viewing 15 posts - 1,456 through 1,470 (of 1,804 total)
  • LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Congrats to Hugo!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

@lattemama that sounds like alot of fun!

LINK
    jay_1965vw @jay_1965vw

Well, the weekend’s update is that we spoke to the previous tenants of the house we wanted, and they are having big problems with the landlord and getting their bond back. As we had STILL not received the lease to sign, we canceled that application, and we’ve found another (nicer) house to apply for. The owner is in Africa though, so we’ve been told it may take a while to get an answer.
    On a brighter note, I was able to test drive a Juki TL2010 on Monday. I want the 2000, but they are very similar, and I LOVE IT! Can’t wait til we have a house and I can order my machines.
    We know where our stuff coming from Australia is now too. It will be in storage here by the end of the week, so as soon as we have a house it will be delivered.

Nicole, what Juki do you have? I’d love to hear some first hand feedback!

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

@jay_1965vw good luck on the house hunt. I actually live in the NoVa area (recently returned from four years overseas). I hope you enjoy your time here!

LINK
    jay_1965vw @jay_1965vw

Roundtheworldgirl- NoVa = Northern Virginia? Maybe we could meet up some time!

Our lease is looking very likely. Apparently they were drawing up paperwork late yesterday afternoon. Fingers crossed! We’re hoping to move in around Feb 2nd.

Chris has gone to try to get a Social Security Card today. Ugh. From the reviews on Yelp, it may be a very long morning. We need it before we can buy a car though, and we have to return the hire car tomorrow.

So much stuff to organise…

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Yes, NoVa is northern virginia! I lived there for about two years. It is a lovely place.

Oh my you read reviews of the Social Security Office? LOL. I wouldn’t expect much in the way of efficiency. I think it took me 3 hours from registration to interview to signing the paperwork to change my name after I got married.

That was at a little suburban office where there was no waiting line.

Good luck.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh sounds like Centrelink here! Rediculous! And because they have merged Medicare with Centrelink its even more pathetic! Good luck with the social security card Jay and the house sounds as though its one you will be happy in. Hope you manage to get a nice car also.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

@jay_1965vw I look forward to hearing about which machine you get. Good luck with getting all the other assorted paperwork sorted out!

It feels a bit silly to mention since I’m not the primary student, but I noticed the other day when I was playing violin with my daughter that I don’t really squeak anymore. I think I’d been sliding just a tick sideways on the strings. I mentioned it to my kid and we both smiled and started zinging happily away, squeak-free! The neighbors must be thrilled.

LINK
    jay_1965vw @jay_1965vw

Just like Centerlink, Tamara!
    Well, he spent 2 hours there, and the SSN is on its way. We don’t need it to buy the car, we just need access to our money, which is proving tricky at the moment.
    We’ve committed to buy a VW Jetta Sportwagen, which is the same as my Golf wagon back home. Then I need to learn to drive on the wrong side.

And apparently our lease paperwork has been drawn up, it just has to be approved by the owner. Probably Monday.
    We also need to get to the furniture rental place to choose what we want, but that’s also challenging before we get our car.

Arghhhhhh. I just want to sew.

On a happier note, Josephine turned one on Monday, and took her first steps the day before yesterday. She’s still crawling 99.9% of the time though.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

@jay_1965vw Yes, Northern Virginia. A meet-up would be fun! I don’t have many sewing friends here 🙂

LINK
    jax @capnjax

@roundtheworldgirl and @jay_1965vw I live in DC. I tried to get a sewing meet up group together a few years ago and the poor turnout and lack of interest was such a bummer. Is getting better though.

Enjoy the DMV and stay aware of rush hour times.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Have you folks looked into your local guilds? My city has a Modern Quilt Guild with regular sewing meetups in addition to the meetings. I don’t even quilt and still enjoy it. They give good information on machine maintenance, tools, upcoming fabric lines, etc. They also bring in special guests like Anna Maria Horner and Liesl. There’s something really wonderful about hearing people talk about their ideas and their work.

LINK
    jay_1965vw @jay_1965vw

@roundtheworldgirl and @jax, meeting up sounds great. I’m hoping to have the top floor of our new house as combined sewing and kids play area (with a fence in between!), so once I’m set up I’d be happy to have a sewing play date!

I used to go to a lovely stitching group at my local quilt shop, and they were very child friendly. I think I may have trouble finding one that is so good with kids.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Happy first birthday to little Josephine!

My baby girl is one month old today! Doesn’t seem like its been a month though – it just goes so fast.

I used to go to the local craft group when my eldest was little. It got too hard and some of the old ducks didnt cope well stitching around a toddler. So I stopped going until she started kindergarten and even then it was just too difficult! I just prefer o sew at home as I get more done.

Its nice to go every once in a while though.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Oh, a sewing play date sounds so nice. You could sew a Play Date to wear to the play date, even 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1,456 through 1,470 (of 1,804 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.