apples to oranges sewing kit sewing pattern
Comparing fruit to sewing is like comparing apples to oranges and yet we have brought these two things together in a fruity sewing kit that’s cute enough to eat. It’s got everything you need: a pincushion, a zipper pouch for notions, and an optional needle pad, all buttoned up in a tasty package. Take your pick from a red delicious apple with an embroidered core or a zesty orange with playful appliqué.
What You'll Need
Quilting cotton, linen, or other lightweight woven fabrics cut to the following dimensions:
- 6" x 12" rectangle of fabric A (pincushion top and zipper top)
- Two 6" squares of fabric A (optional needle pad)
- Six 6" x 7" rectangles of fabric B or assorted fabrics (outside apple or orange wedges)
- 6" x 27" rectangle of fabric C (zipper-pouch lining)
- Two 3 1/2" squares of fabric D (leaf)
- Assorted scraps for the stem, hinge, and orange appliqué pieces
1/4 yd quilt batting
1 3/4" length of 1⁄8"-wide elastic
One 3⁄8" to 1/2"-diameter button
Embroidery thread for seed embellishment
Freezer paper for orange appliqué
4" h (excluding stem) x 4" w x 4" d
Submit a review to share your thoughts with others.
Average rating: 1 review)(based on
Cute and clever, 4/21/2015
Reviewer: Jessica (Cincinnati, Ohio, US)
I liked this pattern very much. It was well written and easy to follow. It used fine finishing techniques so that all raw edges were enclosed and the final product had a professional look. And it is just darling when it's done. My only wish is that the pattern came in a zippered or otherwise re-closable package, which has nothing to do with the pattern itself.