Oliver + S

Sewing for Yourself

What do you think? Feedback welcome.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • LINK
    emcamfield @emcamfield

I love the maritime top – I wear knits most of the time, and I really like the bateau neckline of that top. Also I’m obsessed with stripes.
    I also really like the gallery tunic. It reminds me of the Tova top, which I just made a few versions of and which turned out pretty well. The gallery top has a curved hem, though, which I’m really intrigued with. I’d love to try it in a double gauze.
    The skirt is cute but I don’t think it’s for me. I think I would feel uncomfortable in something that short with the front opening.

Both of these patterns just came in the mail and I can’t wait to try them out! Yay for paper patterns!

LINK
    MaryC @maresea9

Just got patterns for Maritime Top and Gallery Tunic. At first glance I can say the instructions look to be SO much clearer than other commercial patterns I have tried (with failure). I would appreciate any and all tips on adjusting patterns, particularly in the “armscye” area(had to look that one up). Lots of info on fitting for large busts (darts etc.) not so much for the small busted/muscular back types.
    Thanks–really like your site, especially your video tutorials.

LINK
    rebecca @rebecca

@MaryC — I really like the fitting technique of Nancy Zieman, as she helps you find the pattern that will fit your armscye (since it’s a pain to adjust), and then do alterations that are easier (bust/waistline). Liesl did a post about it: http://www.sewlisette.com/blog/2011/06/two-resources-to-help-you-find-your-correct-size/ My library carries the book, though I finally just bought a used copy off of Amazon.com, since all the book is so helpful, beyond what Liesl offers in pattern adjustments.

In the comments, you see that some love it, some hate it. For me, since I have serious issues if I sew the pattern according to the bust, this method works great! The back fits well, and I simply adjust for bust as needed (whether increase or decrease, whatever you need).

LINK
    Enbee @Enbee

Just finished View C for B6295 last night – it’s only my 2nd sew for myself. I like the pants, a lot, but oof. I’m guessing that since this is one of the Butterick patterns, there isn’t a lot of flexibility on things like seam allowance size and where it’s added, but I got SO FRUSTRATED every time I had to cut off the entire (gigantic!!) seam allowance of a pattern piece. And the waistband piece – again, oof. Using a straight stitch to sew in the elastic/attach it to the pants completely failed, so I had to improvise (cue much swearing). I understand and appreciate the attempt to make the pattern approachable for people without sergers, but it would have been nice if there were pattern trace lines/instructions intended for serger construction, including using a faux flatlock serger stitch instead of the overlock/topstitch combo.

I’ll make these again, but with substantial mods to the pattern pieces and assembly. I guess I’ve been spoiled by the awesome O+S instructions!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Yeah, it’s difficult to write a pattern that includes instructions for people with and without a serger. I guess the good news is that you can always draw in a smaller seam allowance if you know you’re going to use the serger/overlock/etc. I’m glad you like the result!

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.