Oliver + S

Tips for fabric shopping in New York

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Great suggestions, Reeni! I always forget about Greenberg and Hammer. I’d add Steinlauf and Stoller to your list for their great tools and notions. And I love Elliot Berman for their European imported fabrics from all the great fashion houses.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Just a quick note that I merged the two NYC fabric shopping threads since both had great info.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Another bump — any last minute tips? I’m wondering what I might be able to get in NY that I can’t get in LA. My stash is really bursting and I just don’t think I can justify buying unless it’s a case of missing a unique opportunity.

I plan to visit Purl to refresh my memory of the colors for Brooklyn Tweed as I want to buy yarn to make something for myself. Finally!

I plan to visit the button shop as I don’t know of any direct equivalent in LA.

Most of my other plans revolve around food!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

No tips but I wish I was coming to carry your bags.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

One day we’ll have a girls’ shopping day out!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Can’t wait to see you Sarvi! Holler if you need anything when you arrive, and have a great trip!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Will do! Gracias!

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

I’d say the City Quilter exclusives if you want to commemorate your trip, and Tinsel Trading… also the shops that cater to costuming for stage. I think everything else could be found in CA if you looked hard enough…

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

Sarvi, i’m interested in how your trip went, and where you’d recommend, especially as it sounds like you already have a lot of choice on your doorstep.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

You know, I’m afraid I actually wound up not doing any fabric shopping, as I was there for only a very short time, so I tried to only see/do/eat things I couldn’t get at home or online. I did pop into Purl Soho because it was close to something else I wanted to visit, and I did go to the wonderfully-named Tender Buttons, which I very highly recommend. It’s a small store that’s packed to the gills, and the descriptions on the button boxes alone are worth the trip. There’s a cafe right across the street that will do you a wonderful iced coffee on a hot day. Sorry not to be more help!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Also, keep an eye on your pocketbook. Buttons add up 🙂

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Well I have green eyes now! Would love to go shopping in New York! I was going to say happy shopping Sarvi but I see you didn’t actually get to. Maybe next time.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Tamara. Reason: adding a hopefully lovely comment
    LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I’ve hosted a few NYC shopping trips in my time. Would love to do it again someday if there’s enough interest!

LINK
    JWo @JWo

I’m going to NYC for a week in mid-December although I imagine I will have to rely on your recommendations for great shops. I love Purl Soho and the garment district and can’t wait to look for the button shop Sarvi mentioned…

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

@jwo I’m very strong and good at carrying bags! 💪😃

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.