Oliver + S

pleats

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • LINK
    stitchandcappuccino @stitchandcappuccino

I am sewing the girl friday culottes size 2. I have followed the instructions for the pleats, but I find myself with the circumference of the culottes bigger (much bigger) than the waistband. Someone had the same problem? I think a tutorial will be helpful.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Haven’t made these yet but looking forward to it!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Ah, I know exactly what the problem is. There’s a step (apologies that I don’t remember which number or page) where you need to baste the pockets closed. If you don’t do this the culottes will be much wider than the waistband. I did my best to emphasize this step because it’s important–I’m certain that if you look back you’ll see it, and that will solve the problem!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

This sounds a bit exciting …..

LINK

Thank you Liesl, in fact this helps a lot to reduce the culotte circumference. However it is still wider in particular in the back. I know it should be there a bit of ease, but this is to me a bit to much. I will try to baste as you suggest in the instructions and see how it works. I want to wear them ASAP 🙂

LINK

i am really struggling witht the waistband. it seems always much smaller that the culotte. how much do you consider of ease? is anyone having the same issue?

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Could you increase the size of the darts in the back to take up some of the ease?

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I had the same issue and needed to re read the instructions carefully. The pockets are really hidden in the seams rather than your typical side seam pocket. If you’ve done all the pleats and darts correctly and the waistband fits the way you want you could take in the back darts and/or center seam to make it match.

LINK

Yes, it is what I did in the end of and I had to take in a lot. I just wondering if it is OK to change so much from the original pattern. I am pretty sure the pocket step I did correct, but maybe something else went wrong. I am usually sewing the oliver+s patterns for my kids and never had to change anything from the original pattern because everything was perfect. Maybe I need to make another pair and see how it goes.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

There isn’t much ease between the waist and the waistband, so it might be a good idea to go back and check each step and all your markings? Or could the waist have stretched?

LINK
    Ejensewchat @Ejensewchat

I have made up the Girl Friday culottes, but have just realised that my waistband is much longer than the waist. (the opposite of some of the other sewers) Clearly I have done something wrong either at the pleats or pockets. I did go back and check and all seemed ok. I was wondering did you have plans for a sew-along.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Yes, we could do a sew-along! You may need to give me a little time to prepare for that. We’ve got the School Days Jacket coming up next month, and then the holidays will be upon us, but maybe in January? We’d also like to do a Bistro Dress sew-along.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Oooh, Bistro sew-a-long, please! I printed mine off yesterday.

LINK
    Ejensewchat @Ejensewchat

Ok thanks Liesl, I will put them away for a while and come back to them, sometimes a ‘fresh’ pair of eyes helps things to click. They look great apart from the waistband not fitting, they are in red suiting so would be great for pre-christmas nights out. I realise there is a lot of work goes into these sew-alongs.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

@Ejensewchat I’ve just found exactly the same issue as you. My waistband is bigger than my culottes waist. I’m a pretty precise dart and pleat sewer so I’m unsure what’s gone wrong. I am using a stretch chambray/denim, but given that the waistband is interfaced it will stretch much less. Bit baffled as to why it’s this way round and not a smidge small as the instructions suggest…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.