Oliver + S

Sew Alongs

Lisette B6244 Coat Sew Along

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • LINK
    Cat @Cathbe

I have not had a chance to upload the pattern of the larger size for advice on the cut out. Hopefully, I will do that in the next day or so.

I have the Carolina Herrera Double-Faced Wool Coating fabric, the salmon-beige-orange like color, one of the ones you recommended (a fluke that I have it; it was a surprise).

Would you think I need the 1/4 inch cotton twill tape to use with this? I am not sure how to determine whether there is quite a bit of stretch.

Thanks!

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Cat.
    LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

@Cathbe, the best way to determine whether you need the twill tape (which I would actually recommend even if you don’t “need” it) is to check the stretch from selvedge to selvedge. If it stretches or if the fabric is quite heady you’ll almost certainly want it. I hope that helps!

LINK
    sanitystitches @sanitystitches

I made a second one in wool/cashmere as a Christmas gift for my mom.

photo (27)

LINK
    Marylynn @artscience

Not a great photo, but wanted to share a photo of my finished coat. It is an Italian Double-faced Merino wool wool knit.
    I have kept the hem edges raw.
    Looking forward to wearing on an upcoming trip to Los Angeles.
    At some point would like to make up in a more substantial wool.
    What a great pattern. Love the felled seams.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Marylynn.
    LINK
    Marylynn @artscience

2.jpfile:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Marylynn%20McLaughlin/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Coat/Eli%20and%20the%20Moon%2000g

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Would a wool jersey work? Or something like this:

http://www.naturesfabrics.com/rose-wool-pointelle.html

I have a sweater of similar cut as this coat that my mother covets. I’d love to make it in a sweater or lighter jersey so it can be worn indoors during the winter. It gets cold here in the Northeastern US.

LINK
    Marylynn @artscience

Added photo to the Lisette Flickr group.

LINK
    Cat @Cathbe

@liesl, thanks for the information about the twill tape. I got some and will try it. I finally was able to upload a picture of the pattern for the larger size and wanted clarification on how this should be cut. It seems like piece 2 is on the fold and 1 and 3 are not — is that right?

Thank you!

LINK
    Cat @Cathbe

Coat B6244 sizes 18W-24W pattern layout attached photo:

p.s. not sure why but photo is not showing.

LINK
    Cat @Cathbe

@cybele727 that fabric looks very pretty!

LINK
    Cat @Cathbe

Trying again 🙂 … the other was under 1 MB in size but this is now smaller image of B6244 in sizes 18W-24W pattern layout attached photo (fingers crossed it appears):

LINK
    Bedtime Sewer @McNeill

Hi, I am trying to decide what size I should make my B6244 coat. As my measurements are all over the show- size 8, 10 and 12, would I be best to go with the bust measurement (my smallest measurement)? Then it would fit around the shoulders? Would appreciate any suggestions.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

@McNeill I would be inclined to do it that way. And then you would have a nice fit in the shoulders and bust area. If you were to do the 12 all over it might look wrong.

I would grade out to a 12 once you get to the hip. Because your measurements just go up a size or so it would be simple rather than to try and reduce it in the bust and waist to accomodate the 12 in the hips.

Hope this helps.
    Tamara😀

LINK
    Bedtime Sewer @McNeill

Thanks for the advice @justsewit. Tracing the pattern tonight!

LINK
    Bedtime Sewer @McNeill

I have finished the coat! Thanks @justsewit about the advice for the sizing. I forgot to size up to a 12 at the hips, but it was no bother in the end- you can’t tell. It fits great in my humble opinion!
    I also found it easier to flat fell the arms with the sleeve turned in the right way and sewing inside the sleeve so to speak. I started doing that by accident on the second sleeve and it was much easier- and neater! I still had to stop 3/4 of the way and sew from the other end, but it looked much nicer.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.