Oliver + S

Sketchbook shirt too short

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • LINK
    Roxyrox @Roxyrox

I just finished sewing my first sketchbook shirt and both my son and I love it, except it is too short. Too short by about 3-4 inches. The proportions are really off. It is wide and short. It is his first day of school shirt and he has his heart set on wearing it. This one wearing may be it for it. I have never had an issue with O & S patterns but this is the first one I have made for him. I even cut a size up to have it last a little longer. He is an average size 6 and usually buy size 6-7 for him. I cut an 8 but the sides of the shirt barely cover his waistband of his shorts. We are both so disappointed since we love the fabric and had enough to make the shirt longer. Next time I will be measuring twice before cutting for sure.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I am sorry you are sad Roxy.

If you look at the picture on the pattern packet, the shirt is untucked and only just reaches the waistband, thus the style.

I did a length comparison shot here. https://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/4773996320/in/set-72157625212212623

If you want to tuck, it does need some length added.

LINK
    Roxyrox @Roxyrox

Thanks, I didn’t even think to look at the picture on the packet (duh!) I have already made notes on my tracings for next time.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

No, don’t worry, a lot of us were so excited to have shirt we jumped in and sewed it up!

LINK
    Susan @madtownmama

I know this thread is a year old, but I’m jumping in to say that I had the exact same problem. My 9yo son is average height and weight. When I went with the measurements listed on the pattern envelope it appeared he would wear a size 8. I knew that couldn’t be right, so I cut the size 10 and even made it longer (size 12 length) and it barely fits. Maybe he can wear it for picture day this Friday, but that’s it. I’m so disappointed at the erroneous sizing here. I spent a long time working on that shirt and was very careful to do everything right and even got the plaids to match and everything. I want to make him another one size 12 that he can actually wear for dress up occasions, but I’m afraid even that won’t fit. It’s too bad because other Oliver&S patterns I’ve made are true to size, if erring a bit on the small side.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

What a bummer that it doesn’t fit. He measures an 8, but the 10 is too tight across the chest? Or is it that you were looking for a shirt long enough to tuck in? Length is pretty easy to add but if you fear the 12 will be tightly fitted across the chest, adding width might be a bit trickier.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

For th size 6 and up I always add 3″ to the length. I have made well over 25 of these in all the sizes and find the size fits spot on other length for tucking in. Now on the smaller sizes I leave the length alone for not tucking in, as shown on the pattern front. I also discovered that this pattern is perfect for adding a bias hem band for the hemming part.

LINK
    Susan @madtownmama

The chest fits fine, but the neck looks a little tight. He wouldn’t button it up all the way. It’s the length that is so far off. I think for the next one I’ll cut a size 12 and make it 3″ longer like Mama_Knowles suggested. I think if this pattern is ever edited and re-released they should seriously consider making it longer for the bigger sizes. So what if a kid doesn’t tuck his/her shirt in? You still don’t want your ribs exposed!

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Susan.
    LINK
    avashmava @avashmava

I think Mama Knowles has it spot on. For a younger child, the shorter hemline is great. Beyond that, I have added length for tucking in…even if they chose not to tuck. A cropped shirt on an 8 or 12 year old just doesn’t pull off “cute” the same way it does for little ones. I don’t think the pattern necessarily needs revision, but perhaps just a note that points out this is more of a cropped version of a button down shirt. It really is a great pattern and looks so nice when being worn! I can’t tell you how my sewing confidence soared after having made this for the first time!

LINK
    Susan @madtownmama

The pattern would definitely benefit from a note about how to lengthen for older kids. I had my son try the shirt on again this morning and the whole thing actually fits very well except for length, so I’ve decided I don’t need to retrace the pattern (whew), just add a good 3″ to the front and back. I’m hoping to do that tonight. Usually my second time through a pattern things go faster.

One thing I’ve always loved about Oliver & S patterns is the clarity of instructions. The first thing I made was the messenger bag from the Little Things to Sew book, and despite all its complexity, each step was so clearly written, I made it without a problem! That said, the yoke instructions on this shirt had me stumped, but I found a photo tutorial online of a similar pattern and I figured it out.

LINK

I glad to hear it fit well other than length Susan, it’s my second favorite O+S pattern and my most used O+S pattern. (Well most used pattern of mine that I own too!) My two middle boys just requested some new ones for fall. Sadly my oldest out grew this pattern a few years ago. I would love for Lisel to make a men’s size one.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Susan, I have some piccies of the yoke here as well as a nifty treatment for the collar to get it to sit like a two piece.
    http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/sketchbook-shirt-tutorial-part-1.html

LINK
    Susan @madtownmama

Nicole, thanks for that link! I will definitely try that trick with the collar next time.
    I did the yoke a bit differently, according to this tutorial from Grainline (http://grainlinestudio.com/2013/04/04/archer-sew-along-day-7-attaching-the-yoke-method-1/) and it worked well for me.
    I’m happy to report that I sewed up a second shirt over the last couple evenings and this one turned out much better. I added 3.5″ to the length and it fits well. Just in time for picture day tomorrow!

LINK

Also this pattern is very easy to convert into a two piece as well. I made this shirt into a two piece collar on this shirt.

http://sweetpeaandpumkins.blogspot.com/2015/09/whimsical-make-it-mine-challenge.html

LINK
    Susan @madtownmama

Second try worked out great! Just in the nick of time for picture day too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.