Oliver + S

Sewing Book Advice

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

Hi everyone – one of my son’s friends is getting married. We’re friends on Facebook (cause I’m a cool mom like that) and this girl is kind of a self-taught sewist. She struggles because she doesn’t really like to follow directions, but yet she asks advice on FB when she gets stuck, which is how she and I became more friends. Anyways, I’m going to put together a wedding gift for her and would like to include a good, basic sewing book. Anyone have a good recommendation?

LINK
    Jane @jesims

It’s not a sewing book, but what about a gift certificate to Craftsy? I have been learning so much from their classes lately (now that my stubbornness to figure it out on my own has relaxed a bit). There are some great sewing technique and garment construction classes on Craftsy.

Jane

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh yes! Jane that would be even better than a book. They have classes for all levels and she can learn all sorts of techniques – even how to make curtains!

Janice a book is a wonderful idea but I think if I were you I would look at craftsy. Then with all the recommendations for books in the many classes, she could tell you which book she would really find useful. Then maybe it could for a birthday or Christmas gift or something like that. There are so many to choose from and each has their attributes.

If you were to choose a book, I would suggest anything by Claire Schaeffer as a start.

LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

Oh yes, how did I forget about Craftsy? Perfect suggestion! That way, she can choose herself. Smart people in this forum!!

LINK
    kgiff @kgiff

I’m relatively new to sewing as well. I love the idea of a Craftsy gift certificate.

If you do want to include a book to, I’m liking Essential Sewing Reference Tool: All-in-One Visual Guide. I spend at lot of time with google and my sewing machine manual while I’m sewing as well.

That’s so nice of you to do this for her.

LINK
    Robin @Robin

I tend to go back to “Fit for Real People”, Palmer/Pletsch Publishing when I get stuck with fitting.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

@Robin, ditto!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Yes, Fit for Real People is an essential – however, if she doesn’t like to follow directions (is she a middle child?;) ) she will probably find it too much. It’s extremely dense and all the examples are really really dated.

I suggest the Colette handbook. I think it has enough detail to take you from beginner to intermediate, but it’s not too much to read. Also, it covers a lot more than just fit and it’s beautifully presented. It’s well written, which makes it a pleasure to read so she might not mind reading instructions.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.