Oliver + S

tips for vintage patterns?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    sosew @sosew

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/101385668/vintage-toddlers-jumpsuit-and-bubblesuit?ref=cat_gallery_7&ga_search_query=Simplicity%209290&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=CA&ga_search_type=all&hc_location=ufi

I have a copy of this on order and plan on making the little blue suit. I’ve never sewn from an older pattern (I started sewing in the late 80s/early 90s), any tips or things to lookout for?

I hope that all the things I’ve learned from sewing Oliver+S patterns will help me here

Thanks!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

That is adorable!

I sew with vintage patterns and have a very large stash. The instructions are usually pretty good, they generally instruct you to clip seams and under stitch and often have lots of notches to help match things up. They often don’t tell you when to neaten your seams, watch out for that.
    The sizing can be very slim (a reason why I like them) perhaps lay the pattern pieces over clothing that fits?

The older vintage patterns (1940’s) often don’t have lines, they are plain paper but they are precut and have holes punch in them for marking transfer.

If the pattern is damaged or torn I find using scraps of tissue paper glued under the pattern makes a good repair and is still iron-able.

I definitely use my O+S grooming when sewing them, and they do compliment the O+S style well.

Good luck!

(my vintage work so far https://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/sets/72157632088421306/ if you would like a peep) šŸ™‚

LINK
    sosew @sosew

Thanks for all the great tips!

I will be sure to check sizing in this case, they also look quite short šŸ™‚ The pattern I got is technically one size up so hoping it will be a good fit.

Its dangerous what one can find on Etsy easily now. Especially wiht O+S as a gateway to vintage patterns

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Wow, that’s a lot of great info, thank you Nicole! I know Gertie from Gertie’s Blog for Better Sewing (not sure of the exact name) is very keen on vintage as well, and might have some additional tips. Off to peep at Nicole’s handiwork šŸ™‚

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.