Oliver + S

SBA question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    CarrieS12345 @CarrieS12345

Hi, after many sewing fails due to bust issues, I finally decided to use this pattern to learn how to properly do a SBA. Who better than to teach me than Liesl, right? 🙂

I’ve completed the pattern piece alteration and taped it back to the skirt piece. Since I did a 1/2″ SBA, my skirt piece is now wider than my bodice piece by 1/2″. The instructions say to blend either the bodice side seam or the skirt side seam so the two edges will match. For those of you who’ve done this already, what is the best way to blend these two pieces together? Since I put the same size waist dart back in place, have I effectively reduced the waist amount and would I need to blend so that I get that 1/2″ back in the waist? I sure hope this makes sense to someone! Thanks so much!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Hi @carries12345 I am very glad you managed to get the sba sorted because the bustro is such a lovely dress. I made this for daugther’s interview to her new high school last year and it turned out beautifully.

In terms of your question on blending, what I would do is first measure your front waist and compare this measurement to the pattern to make sure you haven’t subtracted any room that may be required. Then I would gradually start from both the top piece and bottom piece and gradually make a new line that will meet together. It will not be a larger extension on the top and you won’t be taking in that much from the skirt but it will provide a less harsh looking line – after all since when do we have angles on our sides?

I hope this is helpful and that it makes sense. Good luck and I hope you get to show us once it is done.

Tamara

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

That sounds like great advice, Tarama (@justsewit)! And I’m flattered that you turned to one of our pattern to learn the technique, @carries12345. Keep us posted on how it turns out!

LINK
    CarrieS12345 @CarrieS12345

Thanks, @justsewit !That does make sense, and I’ll make sure to post how things turn out after giving it a try. @liesl, I’ve learned so much from your patterns already!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.