Oliver + S

Recital dress ideas?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

Because it is always fun to hear all of your ideas….

My daughter wants a black and white recital dress…any fabric/pattern ideas to keep it interesting? We don’t have a dress code. Our “recitals” aren’t formal. Basically, our tiny music school takes over the baby grand at a local nursing home after dinner every few months and plays for the residents. The kids can wear anything, but I won’t turn down the chance to make a dress for girl now that she doesn’t wear them that often! Oh…and the piano is white if that makes a difference.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Ok my (one handed baby on lap) list of ideas. Fairy tale dress black with white belted bow and white collar. Fairy tale dess with white and black print (Lila Tueller springs to mind) or go spotty! I woll think of more and get back to you (when I have both hands back and can type with out error)

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

@mcholley1 I was thinking of you, after your comment on my blog about your daughter eschewing bright colours, as I’m due to start work soon on a zebra print Fairy Tale dress! Mine is for opening night of Carnival Of The Animals where children are invited to dress up as their fav animal (I vetoed fake fyr onesies!)
    A mad print like that on a Fairy Tale could be cool. Or maybe go Chanel with a monochrome school photo dress.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

You could also go Fairy tale again but do the top white and the skirt black to depict a two piece. I love the animal print idea – once again the mind was read!

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

OK, this is perhaps a smidge (actually a lot!) inappropriate for a recital, and possibly also for a child… but the idea of a black and white dress done a bit ‘differently’ caught my imagination. I have a completely daft desire for a frothy black tulle overlaid skirt (search pintrest, drool!). How about fairytale dress with a black tulle overlaid skirt, just a bit not so that it’s massive and a white embellished bodice drawing inspiration for this

Might be a little adult in truth, so as an alternative I’d be happy to receive it 😉

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

Music Box jumper (the full version) in black handkerchief linen. Three narrow white cotton twill tape or cotton lace bands at bodice and hem.

LINK
    chicmamainedh @chicmamainedh

How fun! Black and white is so sophisticated! I like the idea of a black and white color blocked school photo dress with the scallops on the top. I believe there was a blog post about it once. It was so cute.

LINK
    lakepa @lakepa

The Playdate dress with black on the bottom and sleeves with a white bib yoke with tucks on either side of the center. A tuxedo dress! The pattern goes up only to size 8, though.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I really like the tulle overlay skirt. Although the idea of a black and white polka dot dress sounds pretty good too 🙂

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

I have had this this organza on Etsy in mind for a special occasion dress for a bit. I think it would make a lovely Pinwheel overdress or Apple-picking or Carousel with a pale lining.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Reeni.
    LINK
    EllenMCM @EllenMCM

I’ve made the Hide and Seek and the Library dress for recitals. You could do either in black and white. I’m also a huge fan of the poofy tulle skirt idea, but I have a violinist and she doesn’t have to negotiate with a piano bench at recitals.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I have two fairy tales, two bubbles, and a Scirocco (Figgy’s) done as recital dresses with white bodices and black skirts. Two are in cotton, two in silk, the Scirocco in linen. Silk looks fantastic, cotton is easiest to wear, linen wrinkles like crazy (obviously, right? it was for a very hot day and I thought she’d be cooler and more comfortable) and I wouldn’t do that again. I’ll post photos!

LINK
    Maggie @Magonomics

What about something like this?

LINK
    chicmamainedh @chicmamainedh

@maggie that is beautiful!

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

Oh…so many ideas! You ladies don’t disappoint…. It is so fun to dream of all the dresses I “could” make. The girl has decided on spots….black with white spots to be specific. She wants a “twirly skirt”….of course in this case I really want to make the Hide and Seek.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.