Oliver + S

Question about sewing pocket lining on Everyday skirt

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    Cat @Cathbe

Hi, I am not very far along on the Everyday Skirt and have a question – I am sewing the pocket lining to the front panel and it says to pivot but at the point the circle indicates pivoting, it looks like the sewing stops.

Should the sewing along the pocket lining go to the edge of the fabric or end slightly after the circle?

I was not going to do a muslin, but if I do (reading comments makes it sound somewhat important), are there steps I can skip to get a sense of the fit or do I have to sew pretty much all of it other than the hem?

Thank you!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Hi Cat, the stitching for the pocket should continue to the edge of the fabric.

The fit of this skirt depends on how much you cinch up the back elastic. Ideally, the back panel should be about the same width as the front panel when the elastic is cinched to fit you. This will balance the skirt so it’s the same fullness all the way around. I think the side panels tend to confuse people, since they wrap around to the back and make the back panel seem small. If the skirt seems too big, you can always cut the back panel to be a little more narrow–as long as it still fits over your hips when you pull the skirt on and off! You shouldn’t need to do a muslin for this one–there aren’t any tricky fitting spots for it. I hope that helps!

LINK
    Cat @Cathbe

Hi Liesl,

Yes, that is incredibly helpful. Thanks for clarifying re: the pocket stitching and for the tips about getting the fit right and what to look for – plus skipping muslin!

Thank you so much, very helpful!

Cat

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Always a pleasure!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.