Oliver + S

Garden Party Notches for larger sizes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

I checked the forum first to see if anyone else had this issue but could not find anything, so maybe it’s me (sewing at 1am). 😉

I am in the middle of sewing the Garden Party blouse in size 12 using some pretty Liberty Lawn I picked up on sale recently.  The illustration on page 2, bottom of column 4 shows the front skirt pattern with 2 notches at the top on each side with the corresponding 2 dots centered between the notches across the waist. However, the pattern has the dots spaced a half inch above the stitching line.

However, on page 3, columns 1 and 2 show 3 notches on that section with the waistband centered between the bottom two notches (column 2), with the 3rd set of notches towards the top of both sides above the waistband.  Yet, when I double-checked the pattern piece there are only two notches with the two dots in line with the top of those two side notches.  

My question, therefore, begins with the instructions on page 2, column 4.  Where do I start stitching that first line of basting stitches?  On the line?  Or starting at the dots (drawing a line between them?) and sewing between those dots first (then stitching 3/8 inch on either side of that)?

Hoping this is a clear explanation.
    Am I missing something?

Thanks so much for your time on this.  

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I’m afraid I haven’t made this one — hopefully somebody who has will be along soon to chime in!

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

Here are the photos of the pattern and pattern instructions so hopefully it will make more sense what I’m trying to explain.

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

Last photo of the pattern piece.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Hallo April!

I am a bit tired today,( Trixie had jabs yesterday and didn’t sleep that well last night) but if I link to my blog post http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/the-garden-party-tutorial-part-one.html maybe you can see the notches in that?

I am sorry not to be more help….. I am a wee bit fuzzy headed today.

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

Thanks for the link, Nicole. I did look at that last night but I only saw the Part 1 with the back bodice. Do you have the link to Part 2? I couldn’t find it on the blog. I have that back part finished but am wondering about the two notches on the pattern (and dot alignment) vs three notches in the illustrations and different dot alignment. I am wondering if there might be an errata on the larger pattern size or am I missing something entirely? Where do I stitch the first line? At the dots (drawing a line between them) or on the stitching line? (But then where do I match up the waistband?) See photos of the pattern above and tell me if I am mistaken and not reading something right. Admittedly, it has been about 2-3 years since sewing apparel so I could just be out of practice. 😉

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

Just found your Part 2. 🙂 I noticed you made the smaller size so I wonder if this is significant to the larger sizes.

Have you or anyone else made it in the larger sizes yet? What did you do?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have not made the larger size but there have been a lot in the Flickr pool.
    I will ask around.

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

Thanks, Nicole. I have it set aside. With Liberty I am a bit nervous to proceed without knowing for sure. With how fine it is, I don’t want to puncture the fabric too many times if I am wrong. I feel so out of practice.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

@April Henry, I am planning on making this soon in the size 8 as part of a sewing swop. I have 27 drawstring bags to make for the school and it is next, after that project.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

April, stitch the first row of basting along the line you transferred, just as it says in the instructions. The dot shows where to begin and end the basting/gathering so the gathers won’t continue into the side seam or seam allowances. It’s been a long time since I wrote this pattern, but looking at it now it appears that the dot really could have been dropped by 1/2″ so it sits directly on the line. I don’t recall why it’s higher than the line–maybe so you can see it when you pin the waistband over the gathering stitches? I think I’d need to make it again to refresh my memory!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I stitched the first line as liesl suggested and then did one row above and one below

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

See photos

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Nicole.
    Attachments:
    LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

Thanks, Liesl and Nicole!

Sounds good… just so I am clear, though, I don’t stitch on the area between the dots but on the stitching line I transfer from the pattern piece (even though the illustrations in the instructions show a stitching line on the area between the dots)?

Also, what do I do about the 3rd notch that’s in the illustrations but not on the pattern piece? Is there a measurement I can use to add it to my pattern for future reference and alignment?

Thanks bunches!

Excited to finish this blouse. Last time I sewed Liberty fabric was the Sunday Brunch set I made for you, Liesl – that little salmon colored floral skirt with tweed jacket for Sew Beautiful. Loved that set and have oogled Liberty fabric ever since!! Now Sweetpea even loves its hand. 😉

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I ended up with three notches on my drafted piece
    I think I may have clipped a Notch where the dot was
    Sorry to be a bit vague, on my phone
    It worked and matched up beautifully
    I agree with sewing liberty and I remember that Sunday brunch

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.