Oliver + S

zippers!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • LINK
    Cat75 @Cat75

I want to learn how to sew a zipper. I feel like my fear of the zipper is holding me back in my sewing. Which Oliver and S pattern would you suggest for someone who has never done one? I think the only two dresses that teach this skill are Fairy Tale and Class Photo. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Cat, both patterns have excellent instructions for putting in a zipper.

I show you how to step-by-step here http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2011/07/wren-wonderment-part-two.html . Its not an O+S pattern (blush) but I leaned heavily in the School Photo dress instructions to insert it.

(This one show the clever ‘wrapping trick’ to get a perfect top) http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/olivine-birthday-dress.html

Good luck!

~Nicole~

PS If you can wait, the lovely Sharon aka Mama Knowles is hosting a sew-a-long for the School Photo dress.

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

When? I really want to make the school photo. G doesn’t need any more dresses and I’ve been trying to decide how she could “need” it anyway. I wonder how it would look made up in a denim chambray for school wear?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I think denim looks good made in almost anything.

Tamara made a smocked version for her daughter that was to die for.

I want to make it again for Tildy. I have some khaki wool and fur in mind. Sarvi helped me design it a good 2 years back!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

How long certain outfits have been in the works! I remember the fur lined pockets just peeping out — can’t wait to see it made at last. I did finally make the Paddington coat at long, long last. Maybe one day I’ll even finish my weekender bag.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Cat, if you are installing invisible zippers, like the one on the school photo dress, get an invisible zipper foot for your sewing machine! I have a clear one and it makes them look great and it is easy to get the stitching line in exactly the right place.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I have been eyeing this deep blue and green wool fabric up the road at the fabric shop but need the perfect excuse to buy it, Sarah’s birthday is coming up and I hear it sweetly calling me for this dress pattern!

LINK
    Cat75 @Cat75

Thanks for all of the replies. My daughter prefers the Fairy Tale dress. That one just scares me because of the need to do a muslin. It’s going to be my New Year’s Resolution to learn zippers. So I guess I’m just planning ahead. I actually have some Liberty that I was going to use for my 8 year old’s Easter Dress. So I may combine the two and that will give me plenty of time. Anyway thanks for the help. I think I am going to be brave and try it.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I’ve got both patterns and the instructions are superb. In fact, I find invisible zippers easier than doing any other sort thanks to the instructions.

Kids seem to love the Fairy Tale dress and grown ups love the School Photo. Of course you need both!

Cat you don’t have to make a muslin. So long as your kid measures the same as one of the sizes you can jump straight in. I got lucky like that, but I was using cheap fabric.

Be brave and I know you’ll be delighted with what you make.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Shelly is right Cat.

I doubt I would make a muslin for my youngest as she is tiny but I did make one for my older girl as she wanted a fitted look http://www.pinterest.com/pin/73676143875980847/

LINK
    Cat75 @Cat75

I’ll have to measure my girl again but this past fall I would make a size 6 and add length. Thanks for all of the help.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.