Oliver + S

Zipper

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    Cellisttoo @Cellisttoo

Can you replace the buttons on the back of the dress and use a zipper instead? I did this on the music class, but not sure about this one. I assume I would follow the same process of figuring out the allowance for the placket and then adding back in the allowance for the zipper?

Can’t wait to try this one, and since it will be an 8, might be the first and only time!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

The Birthday Party facing is a clever ‘wrap around it self’ type facing so you would need to be aware of that.

LINK
    Cellisttoo @Cellisttoo

Maybe snaps instead? I am worried about her sitting on buttons all day.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

The problem with snaps on the back is manifold, imho. First, if they sit on the snaps in just the right way, they pop open. They are kind of meant to do that. Then, to get a snap strong enough to withstand the pressure of the sit, they are pretty thick and industrial.

Buttons down the back can actually be not a problem. When I have a dress that goes full out buttons on the back, I will sometimes make the top button bling-y (which usually means a shank type button) and then use simple flat no shank mother of pearl or plain buttons whose color blends in with the dress.

You can get some pretty insignificant mother of pearl buttons that aren’t too thick. They “blend” and don’t hurt.

LINK
    Cellisttoo @Cellisttoo

Wouldn’t the insignificant ones break when she sits on them (or goes down the slide)? These are school uniforms- so they get a lot of wear.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I am not talking about the flimsy shell ones. Just simple round disks. If the edges are slightly rounded then they might be fine. The only thing you can do is go to the store and look at various button sizes and thicknesses.

I have a daughter with a sensory integration disorder and she has never complained about sitting on flat/shankless buttons. But that is just her.

1/2 ” in diameter flat, I would think, should be sturdy enough and won’t be so thick as to be annoying to sit on.

LINK
    Cellisttoo @Cellisttoo

Ok, we can try those, I just picked some up at a fabric store a few weeks ago. Probably doesn’t bother you as much to sit on them when you are tiny. Fewer pounds per square inch.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.