Oliver + S

your feedback on zippers

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Hey everyone,

We're getting a nice start on designing the fall collection, and I would love to hear your thoughts on children's clothing and zippers. Truthfully, I tend to avoid them because I think they're less comfortable to wear, they change the line of a dress, and they're not very fun to sew.

Ok, I detest sewing zippers.

What are your feelings about this? Should I just get over it and acknowledge how useful a zipper can be? Do you prefer buttons or zippers? I'm sure we could write some good instructions for zippers, but do you want to sew them?

Cheers,

Liesl

LINK
    sadies closet @sadies closet

I don't really mind doing zippers and they can be easier on little fingers than buttons. They aren't as visually appealing as buttons with all the great choices available. I guess for me, I would go with whatever fits better with the design.

Your post made me laugh. When I did costuming, everyone in the shop had a strong opinion. They either loved making buttonholes and hated doing zippers or loved zippers and hated buttonholes. I wonder if most sewers have a strong preference?

Am excited to see the new patterns either way.

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

I vote to examine your zippers (pun intended) – it would be wonderful to have every major sewing technique covered in one way or another via Oliver + S.

LINK
    violetvata @violetvata

Hi- I have been doing zippers and buttonholes for a while, but for zips esp I never know if I am doing it correctly. I would LOVE an in depth- dummies guide to zippers…of course I read the inserts on zippers but they don't always exactly apply to what I am making. Things that have troubled me are where to put the top stops of the zipper in regards to the top of the garment, whether to shorten from the top (as in pants/jeans where you can just sew over the top of the zipper while doing the waistband and chop the rest off) or from the bottom, what to do with the zipper tape ends when sewing outerwear, they seem to just be shoved into the neckline in ready to wear? Also, how to correctly topstitch a fly front from the right side and have it look decent, I consider myself a decent sewer and have little trouble in general, but I cannot get a fly front to look good even if the zipper is in perfectly! Just my thoughts! Can't wait to see spring! Katja

LINK
    bremarie03 @bremarie03

I'm in the anti-zippers camp, myself. But I think it's mostly because I never feel like I'm doing them correctly. But I think if anyone can make zippers work (and hopefully explain {in much detail} how to do them properly), it's you!

LINK
    Leslie @mymodern

No zippers! No, no, no. I'm with you….hate sewing them. Not only that, but I think buttons look so much nicer/cuter on children's clothing. Definitely prefer buttons any day.

LINK
    Leslie @mymodern

P.S. when are we going to get a peek of the new patterns? I'm crazy with anticipation.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Thanks, everyone. I think we might do one–it looks best with this design, and I think we can indeed write the instructions to be very clear. Working on it tomorrow, so I appreciate your feedback.

Leslie, I think we'll be giving a preview of the new patterns later this week or early next week. I can't wait to show and tell! Thanks for asking, and sorry to keep you hanging…

LINK
    Sewnsew @Sewnsew

I wouldn't mind some detailed instructions on zippers myself. Having said that, I really haven't done buttonholes much. I am working on one of your patterns and it does have buttonholes. I am excited – and nervous too!

Thank you asking for our input!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

With today’s sewing machines, buttonholes really aren’t very difficult at all. I hope they go smoothly for you, and thanks for your input!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.