Oliver + S

Yet another recital dress quandry!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • LINK
    EllenMCM @EllenMCM

I have tragically LOST my sewing mojo! But today, my husband informed me that there is a violin recital coming up on the 20th. My 8yo will need something pretty and fancy (our violin teacher is in to pretty, fancy recital outfits). I need to be able to put it together, complete with lovely seam finishes, in under 8 hours. It will need to be purple (or I would be looking to the monochrome thread for inspiration)

I am desperate for suggestions! Pattern and fabric are both valid topics!

LINK
    EllenMCM @EllenMCM

My current thinking is:

The Music Class!

Because nothing is more thrilling than using a pattern for something resembling the occasion for which it is named! Also, I have that one and I’ve made it before.

Please weigh in on my tentative fabric choices:
    for the blouse: https://www.fabric.com/buy/0403817/kaufman-london-calling-lawn-flower-buds-spring

With either a purple or red cord skirt, depending on which coordinates best with the blouse fabric.

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

That’s a really pretty fabric! I too would be attracted to the idea of a blouse named after the occasion so I can totally understand the allure of the music class blouse.

What about a purple shot silk butterfly skirt? It would be good for rejuvenating your mojo because sewing with silk makes it special, it comes together REALLY quickly and you could french seam the side seams so it would have a particularly gorgeous finish.

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

I like the idea of a neat blouse and skirt! the hula hoop would also be cute, maybe with velvet as the other fabric? Fabric.com has a nice Kaufman one in aubergine.
    That floral would also look pretty as an Apple-picking dress.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Garden Party dress? It would look amazing with a sheer overlay. Just cut the pieces twice and sew them as one.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

I second the butterfly skirt! It’s an awesomely easy pattern to make up, and works really well with ‘tricky’ fabrics – ie ones where you don’t want to break up the fabric’s pattern with seams in the front or with corduroy/velvet fabric where seams can look lumpy – that’s my only quarrel with the Music Class skirt. The London Calling fabric is enchanting – a red skirt would look stunning, and goes with far more other things as the winter draws on, than purple. Good luck.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Yes… Butterfly. So quick and easy, so elegant. Do it in a fancy pants silk!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Or a Sunday Brunch skirt?
    Love that pretty lawn.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I love the Kaufman London Calling line, it’s a pleasure to sew. I vote for the Butterfly set as I recall the Music Class being not the world’s quickest sew. You know your own sewing though, if you’re familiar with it and feel confident, I’m sure you’ll get loads of use from the blouse, in particular, well after the recital. I’d go for a darker color for the skirt, for a more traditional recital-ish look, but that’s purely a matter of individual preference.

LINK
    EllenMCM @EllenMCM

The Music Class skirt is super fast, and the ones I’ve sewn up in cord before have held up well.

The blouse will take me longer, but I love pin tucks.

Next steps: order fabric, clean my room!

LINK
    EllenMCM @EllenMCM

Oh, also shoes. Somebody outgrew her dress shoes.

Does anyone want to spam me with pictures of pretty party shoes? Please be aware that the child who will be wearing these shoes is allergic to grey and brown.

ETA: I think those who have reservations at the Music Class blouse are wise, and while I love that blouse, I’ve made it before, and I’m feeling confident right now, I’m keeping the 2+2 in mind as a back up plan.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by EllenMCM.
    LINK
    Reeni @Reeni
    LINK
    EllenMCM @EllenMCM

Those are AWESOME!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.