Oliver + S

Will the facings flip without the topstitching?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    coming-up-roses @coming-up-roses

Hi there. I was wondering if the topstitching on the Playtime Dress is purely decorative or if the facings will flip over if I omit it? I’m not very good at following the curve and I’m afraid I will ruin the dress with my wonky stitching. Is it the same with the pocket topstitching? Thank you! Marjolijn

LINK
    vothgirl @vothgirl

The top-stitching is decorative, tho it really adds a lot! Perhaps practice with a scrap piece of fabric that you trace the stitching lines onto, to see how well it turns out? But to answer your question, the facing shouldn’t flip out if you do the edge-stitching where you stitch the neckline & facing seam allowances to the facing (I can’t remember which step this is, but it’s right after you sew the facing to the neckline). So you could leave the top-stitching off if you wanted to. The same with the pockets – stitching them to the dress front isn’t required and for a dressy version you might not want to as it does give a more casual look. But it keeps the pocket bags from flipping to the back, so it’s something to consider. Either way, I’m sure your playtime dress will turn out well!

LINK

I think I’ll try my first dress without the topstitching and then see how it goes. Thank you for your help!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

They are under stitched so they ‘shouldn’t’ 🙂

I topstitched mine http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2014/04/playtime-dress-tutorial.html

LINK
    NanaMar @NanaMar

For added security, you can tack the facings at the shoulder seam (wrong side) with a few hand stitches.

LINK
    KarenK @KarenK

I was going to suggest tacking it down at the shoulders as well. Have fun sewing!

LINK

Thank you for all your suggestions! I’ve finished my first version without the topstitching and thankfully nothing flips over. I also checked your blog, Nicole. I always see if you have a tutorial before I try a new Oliver+s pattern. They are wonderful and I find sewing much easier when there are photos. Thank you! Here is my version: https://www.flickr.com/photos/coming-up-roses/15424000341/

Although I’m still thinking of doing some contrasting handstitching of the fake collar to make the dress less plain. I’m not sure though…and unfortunately, my fickle 2 year old won’t try it on yet.

Greetings from Germany, Marjolijn

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Off for a peep!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.