Oliver + S

Width of fabric for little ones

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Lex3131 @Lex3131

Hello

My little one is 9 months old and her waist measures about 16 inches. I know I won’t need to go selvedge to selvedge for this skirt but how much fabric should I use to give a nice gather effect on this skirt (I’m hoping not to make it too bunchy)

Thanks in advance for any help

PS Does anyone have any words of wisdom about making this pattern so small? 🙂

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

How jolly cute!

It really depends on how full you would like the skirt.

Twice the waist would be safe on a little girl.

I would not make it too long,you don’t want to frustrate a new crawler.

I can’t wait to see a photo.

I love babies.

~Nicole~

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Lex, I found a blog post on this today.

Corrected baby skirt

http://www.danamadeit.com/2012/10/bias-taped-skirt.html

Basically she ended up making it the full width of the fabric (45″) because double the waist measurement was too small on her baby and the bubs knees kept getting caught on the skirt as they often have they’re knees out. Either way it looks cute.

Good luck.

LINK
    Lex3131 @Lex3131

Thanks guys, I had a strip of fabric at the top left over when cutting her out a tea-party playsuit but it wasn’t quite enough. Will definitely be raiding the stash this weekend. I’m currently deciding whether to have a go at including some piping on said playsuit, It’s all one fabric so I think it needs it but I’m a bit of a novice at this sewing business and this is the first time I’ve made this pattern.

Thanks again

PS, Will definitely be posting pics when I’m done 🙂 stupid work getting in the way of sewing (grumble, grumble, stamps feet)

LINK
    BananaPants @BananaPants

I know this is old, but I sewed a Lazy Days skirt today for our 10 month old and ended up cutting the fabric strip down to around 34″ wide and then serged the short edges together. I didn’t want the skirt to be too gathered at the waistline and the rule of thumb I’ve always heard is to make gathered skirts 1.5-2X the child’s waist measurement. It ended up fitting her very nicely with some room to grow!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.