Oliver + S

Which size to make of School Days coat?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I am gettting ready to make baby C a winter coat with the School Days coat pattern. My question is right now he is in a 6-12m size but some of the O+S 6-12m size fits him well but no growing room. Should I go ahead make the next size up for him so it fits all winter long and maybe another winter this next year? What do you gals think?

~Sharon~

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Its pretty roomy Sharon.

Tildy is still wearing her suede coat ‘just’ and I think that was 12-18 mnths…..

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

I would double check the finished measurements of the 6-12 months and the next size up. If there’s not a huge difference, I’d be tempted to go with the larger size. But that’s just me.;)

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

The first one I made for A was a 2, when she was in 2’s and she can still wear it now at nearly 4. I made her one over the summer in a 4 and I know she’ll wear it next winter too.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Since it’s now January and there’s proably only a couple of months of winter to go, is it worth making the larger size in the hope he can also get some use next year? the other thing is, do you want to upsize in case he has a growth spurt and dosen’t get to wear the coat?

I bet it will look so cute on him.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I think it depends on the layers you put underneath as to how it will fit. Is he growing the same as your older boys or even Sweetpea? If he is then you could gauge whether or not it would still fit by the end of March/April. Do you have to put lots of layers on him to go outside in? They need to be accommodated. Maybe make a muslin shell to see how it goes? I agree with Cindy though, better to go larger if there isn’t much measurement difference. But then my kids grow like weeds anyway! N can wear the size 8 and he has worn it for one season, however we don’t layer here so if he wears it it acts as his pullover layer. We may squeeze another season out of it yet.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I’m having just this quandary for P who will be 5 in the middle of winter and it’s so tempting to make the size 6…

The little one I made for A was huge as I’d upsized a little. I made the 18~24 months when she was about 15 months. It’s only now that she’s almost two that I don’t have to roll the sleeves up. It’s still very roomy though.

I’ll go against the trend and say stick to the size he currently fits in other O+S clothes. *

*the advice given in this post must be interpreted with regard to your conditions and no recompense blah blah… 🙂

LINK

McStitch, BAHhahaha!! 🙂 If advice is bad you must pay with one O+S pattern. 😉

I still need to measure little guy seeing he has grown a ton since the last month. I sure this will help me figure out where to go better. Little man in skinny and very long so if he is very close to the 12m size I will go with it but if not I will make the 6m size. Thanks ladies!!

~Sharon~

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Please make the 6m just so I can squeal at the cuteness of a little doll coat like that!!

LINK

I love wee things in O+S! 🙂

LINK

I just measured liitle man and he is on the low end for the 6-12m size so that is what I’ll go with! Hopefully I’ll get it done soon too. 🙂

Thanks ladies!!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I wouldn’t worry about sizing up because when they’re that little they go through sizes so fast you’ll never get a second winter out of it. My oldest was in 6-12months for like two months. Seriously. The others got maybe 3 months out of that size. In fact, cute as the thing may be, I would personally skip such a tiny size. It is a time consuming project with lots of pieces. Could you really finish it before he grows out of it? Also, I can’t picture it as comfortable for a baby who’s just laying around or maybe crawling around. Maybe make the size 2 for next winter?

Of course it wouod be really super cute indeed.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.