Oliver + S

What to wear for first day of school?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • LINK
    Jillls @Jillls

I might do an Apple picking dress for my Kindergartener. I also love the Book Report Dress. Both can be worn with leggings when the cooler weather comes.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Well, don’t I love that 3/4 you did! I missed that one.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Those little sheep are so darling, aren’t they? Cute without being cutesy.

I must take a whack at the playtime. I was looking at that ‘minimalist’ article and thought the clothes looked like the LTTS art smock, playtime dress/tunic, and a lengthened swingset skirt respectively.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Jane, mine was due Jan 15 or so. My husband was hoping she would be as late as jan 27. <insert emoji of horrified face of overdue pregnancy!>

He wanted that because by coincidence my husband, son, and I are all 27 of different months! He got his wish, sort of! So we are all 27. Neither of my children were scheduled deliveries either. Guess it is our family number.

So many first day choices. Next fall Liesl should name the dress pattern first day of school! 🙂

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

That is the best name Jenny!

A neat little outfit, perhaps a polo top that could have a straight or Peter Pan collar. With natty little shorts.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I was just wishing for a polo with either Peter Pan or straight collar too. :).

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Oooh and a standard sleeve and a puff sleeve.

LINK
    lilypadmontana @lilypadmontana

I’m pretty jealous, I’m homeschooling (preschool) so I won’t be getting the glorious first day of school. Bah! I guess I could set my own date and sew her an outfit but it really doesn’t hold the same importance when she won’t be going anywhere or meeting anyone new. It’s almost enough to make me check out our local preschools 😉

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Ha, I almost added the part about the sleeves too!

OOH Lilypad, that is sort of sad. I mean homeschooling is great, but there is something exciting about such a right of passage as the first day.

LINK
    Jane @jesims

LilyPad,

What if you were to plan a special outing, theme, or lunch in the “first day” that “required” a new outfit?

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

That’s a lovely idea! You can develop your own rites and rituals to mark seasons, new topics, holidays, or whatever else marks a shifting point for you. The key element of back-to-school for me was a fresh pack of yellow number 2 pencils. Ah, I can smell the graphite and wood shavings from here.

LINK
    lilypadmontana @lilypadmontana

Yes that IS a lovely idea! I’ve been brainstorming what I can do to make the first day more special than just plunking down at the kitchen table to do some abc’s… I think I need to make a school room, complete with chalkboard, backback hooks, cubby holes, and new number 2 pencils! Then we can leave normal life and go to school land which will make it a special thing for my girl. It would mean moving my sewing room into the adjacent giant walk-in closet, but I think it would be worth it. Plus having a place where school things can live would be wonderful! I better go see if that closet has any outlets 😉

And so, for a first day of school outfit I’m thinking the jumpropre dress view B!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Hehe, we call the room with the art supplies and sewing machine the school room, and we outside-school. It’s nice to have a dedicated space for experimenting, learning, thinking, playing.

LINK
    dkbnyc @dkbnyc

Last year for the first day of K and 4th grade, I made both girls roller skate dress.Its a quick sew which was important to me. Pretty sure I will be making roller skate dresses again this year

https://www.flickr.com/photos/darcibee/9710730688/in/pool-oliverands|darcibee

LINK
    Jane @jesims

Darcibee,

Those are adorable (the dresses are pretty cute too 😉 ). I have been wanting to make a fuller skirt RollerSkate dress like these from Lands End (http://www.landsend.com/products/girls-short-sleeve-woven-twirl-dress/id_225564), but don’t know if I will do it for the first day. P already has one of the Lands End dresses and it has her full approval because of the “twirl” factor.

Jane

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.