Oliver + S

What to do, hang or fold my fabric?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I’m in the process of deciding the layout and content of the new design of our sewing room/ office area that hopefully will be started on in the next couple of weeks.

Currently, my stash of fabrics sits in a very large, old open bookshelf and it is positively overflowing. What I would like to do is use a wardrobe with sliding doors to hang most of my fabrics so that I don’t have to constantly press each piece and they are away from dust, dirt and sunlight.

I have looked around online and found that some ladies do find this an effective option for them. I’m figuring that a large wardrobe could allow me to hang some and fold the bulkier fabrics like heavy winter fabrics and also knits in order to gain a bit more order. It is fairly organised in sections now but I just can’t fit everything in!

If you were given the opportunity to design a dream sewing space (without knocking down walls), what options would you consider for fabric storage?

I’m hoping to go get the things needed for the makeover in a couple of weeks so that I can finally get a creative space for me (even if shared – nothing is sacred around here anyway). I just need help in deciding on rails, shelves, more, less or equal.

LINK
    rastis @rastis

oh goodness i have too much fabric to hang it! would you not have to iron it anyway, despite hanging it? i would love to escape all the ironing, if that were possible!!

how cool that you are making over your room though, that is exciting!! my ultimate storage would have to be a great big built in with shelving and a separate wardrobe space… my smaller cuts would go on the shelves and i have a bunch of rolls that would go in the wardrobe section mostly shelving though… love good shelves and definitely doors covering everything… don’t want my lovely fabrics getting sun fade!

LINK
    scgoble @scgoble

I would love to hang my fabric. I imagine a wardrobe/armoire with hanging on one side and shelving on the other, like the IKEA Aspellund (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80157214/), which I use as my clothes storage.

Here are some ideas that I thought were just genius:

http://www.craftaholicsanonymous.net/ideas-for-storing-fabric

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Yes hanging space and shelving is my idea of great storage also. I’m looking at the Pax wardrobe because of the height and I can take advantage of every inch of space that way, not to mention I don’t have to dust the top!

I finally got to measure the room the other day and have decided only 2.5m at the very most if I am to fit a 1.5 m table in aswell. I may have to get it couried to me as I can’t see a trip to Perth happening any time soon – shearers turning up this week puts a spanner in the plans oh well! Maybe next holidays. Just want to get it done before it rains and I don’t have dh around to help.

Love the link of ideas – absolutely got the mind whirring now.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I love the idea of hanging but our house is in the middle of a paddock. So with mice and dust in mind I keep mine pre-sorted in big tubs from Ikea.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/4868197261/.

How lovely to open doors and view it all hanging and folded nicely.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Mice and me don’t mix either (especially since we baited and one decided to die in the kitchen and I can still feel its fur on my feet after unkowingly squashing it – well I knew about it when I touched it of course, and so did everyone else!) The sliding doors have felt stoppers which seem to block off the gaps. With those critters though, they can get through anything if they wanted to. If this fails to stop them then the plastic tubs will be re-employed. For the moment though I’ll use them for scraps and notions.

The portacabin is off the side of the house and it doesn’t seem to have evidence of mice in there – I will start eating my words once the clean up begins I’m sure.

With the fabric the way it is, I can see exactly what I have and it’s good. By hanging the fabric it will be the same but the difference will be no overflow!

I’ll show everyone the before and after photos of the transformation.

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

I seem to be on an IKEA kick today. If you plan to use hangers, what about those clip pants hangers from ikea? (here: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80078938/ )

After I’ve ironed fabric for a project, I like to hang them with these hangers so they don’t wrinkle from being folded.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Wow! Absolutely yes! I just checked the Australian site and they have them really cheap – they are about half the price of one with clamps! They would be perfect.

I will have to time to put my order in today but will phone first to get the freight cost.

Yes this is the general idea. You see in fabric stores that sell velvet etc and they have them on a hanger. This is what I would like to achieve at home with my quilting cottons so I don’t have to forever iron or relay a whole shelf.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.